Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

Ayrton Senna

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 03:16 PM
Default Ayrton Senna

well, today is the 10th anniversary of Ayrton Senna´s death.

he was in my opinion the greatest Formula 1 driver in all times, and died in the San Marino GP, when he was winning the race, with M. Schumacher right on his tail.

it´s speacially sad for me because I´m a Brazilian, great fan, and also because Ayrton is the reason why I started to like cars so much.

I don´t think Formula 1 is popular in the US, but anyway, if you know a little bit of F1 history you sure know how good Senna was.

some pictures of important moments in Senna´s carreer you can see in the URL

http://www.staaile.blogger.com.br

Old 05-01-2004, 05:32 PM
Default RE: Ayrton Senna

Americans like NASCAR and drag racing. It's because it's okay to eat hot dogs, drink beer and fart while you watch. Nobody cares.

Formula 1 is too high class. You gotta sip champagne and eat sissy foods like mashed liver and smelly fish eggs on girly crackers. You gotta hold your farts 'til after the race, too.

Actually, Formula 1 is making inroads into America. There are more tracks opening almost every year. Still, our hearts are in our farts.

Old 05-03-2004, 02:38 PM

Hi Stile,
I agree with you. Ayrton was one of the greatest Formula 1 driver ever.
The atmosphere at a Formula 1 race is great worlwide (outside the US). Lugnut is right, the Americans prefer NASCARs to run in a salat bowl instead of 'real' races on real tracks.

Old 05-03-2004, 05:39 PM

Yep. Straight line or left turn only. We don't need no stinkin' right turns to race ... just hotdogs and beer.

Actually, there's one NASCAR race that's a road race where they have to make left and right turns. The stress on the drivers must be overwhelming. That's why it's okay to fart. I'm not a NASCAR fan so I can't remember which one it is, and I'll be embarassed if the road track is in Georgia.

There are many other road races here and Formula 1 is growing. Soon you'll see more "real" racing in America.

Old 05-03-2004, 10:03 PM

well, I think that Nascar is real racing. Only a different style...

but I sure preffer F-1. Too bad that now it is so boring, only M. Schumacher wins... And nobody passes nobody during the race, only in the pit stops.

do you still watch F-1, Horsepower??

the last race was sooooooooooo boring!!!!

when Ayrton Senna was still racing, we always had at least two great drives racing (Senna, Piquet, Mansell, Prost, etc), and there was always a big fight for the victory

now there is only M. Schumacher, and nobody fights with him for the 1st place...

Old 05-04-2004, 06:08 AM

The F1 racing folks (CART?) and the mayor of Washington, DC (our nation's capitol) wanted to set up a race through the city. I'm pretty sure it was the F1 folks. I was really hyped. Wow! A grand prix race I could watch through my office window without someone blocking my view or bumping into me and spilling my Mountain Dew. I was thinking Mardi Gras without the ***** (unfortunately). Yes!

Well, the DC mayor and his staff, being understandably unaccustomed to the F1 world and its idiosyncracies (as was I), was unaware of what was in store for them and the city. The F1 folks wanted to take over and totally control the city for months preparing for the race. They wanted roads re-routed, new portions of roads built, sidewalks removed or moved, all little bumps had to be laser-ground flat, the manhole covers had to be welded closed, and everything they wanted was non-negotiable. The Mayor and his staff finally took the F1 folks to the edge of town and told them to take a hike and to not come back.

There was a CART race held at one of the NASCAR tracks. The track operators had to do that laser-grinding so the little cars had a smooth track and didn't bounce around like "real" race cars do. Do CART cars have air conditioners and pate trays?

There used to be that IROC race and now there's some other race with full-out NASCAR cars where CART, IRL, and NASCAR drivers compete in the same race. The F1 guys ALWAYS bring up the rear. They don't know how to pass on the track they haven't a clue how to use drafting. They pee their pants when they get bumped or blocked. The NASCAR drivers know more than just how to turn left and fart. And sure, the NASCAR guys would lose an F1 race, but they would look damn good on the left turns, buddy.

Old 05-04-2004, 07:30 PM

F1 isn't CART. Actually in June the F1 will be in the US in Indianapolis.

http://www.formula1.com/gallery/32.html

And if you'll ever drive on a F1 race track: It's not laser-ground flat! If you drive with regular street tires you can replace them after 1 to 2 rounds since they get totally ripped off from the rough surface. I was once driving a safety car in in front of a race on the Hockenheim Track.
Mercedes has nice safety cars meantime in the Formula 1 using the SL55....

Old 05-04-2004, 08:51 PM

The track was a NASCAR track, not an F1 track. The NASCAR cars sit a little higher than F1s.

Have you ever driven in Washington, DC? If they won't fix the roads for the citizens they sure as heck aren't going to fix them them for a bunch of little race cars.

Old 05-06-2004, 08:05 PM

Alpine,
you'll like this. An ode to Ayrton....
http://sport.guardian.co.uk/formulao...202331,00.html

Old 05-07-2004, 12:38 PM

nice, Horsepower! The text expresses how we feel about Ayrton. He was more than a great driver to us

this weekend we'll have the Spanish Grand Prix.

I hope it is not as boring as the last GP!!!

GO MONTOYA!!!!