Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

All of the fastest cars in the world.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator
Default All of the fastest cars in the world.

I noticed something. I noticed several car manufacturers and so on claiming to have and or be the fastest car in the world. The problem is that only one can be the fastest and the rest are juist fast cars. What is the, the keyword is the, as in one, singular, uno, car in the world?
Is it this one? 268MPH is hard to beat.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-...QQcmdZViewItem

Or what? If it is and since this car is not an offical production car as they call it, the fastest production car made is up for grabs as long as they dethrown the McLaren F1. Unless someone has already.

Hm, I wonder if I can engineer a turbo or two to fit my 5.6

Old 05-06-2006, 04:47 PM
Default RE: All of the fastest cars in the world.

There's more than one way to go the "fastest." You need to define that first. Top speed, sustained top speed, acceleration, straight-line drags, road racing, cross-country racing, rally racing, etc, etc, etc. No car on this earth will go the fastest in every category or class of non-production car racing. There are non-production race cars that go faster than 268mph. Maybe that M-B is the fastest in its class? Classes unsually narrow things down quite alot.

Old 05-06-2006, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: BlackWolf
Or what? If it is and since this car is not an offical production car as they call it, the fastest production car made is up for grabs as long as they dethrown the McLaren F1. Unless someone has already.

Hm, I wonder if I can engineer a turbo or two to fit my 5.6
I am pretty sure they did wasn't it a Bugatti or an Audi? I am sure though it was made by someone in the Volkswagen Group.

I am sure that would be ur and my 5.6. Remember this car is a 95 same year as the McLarens though i saw one listed as a 94?

Old 05-06-2006, 09:53 PM

No matter what car you drive, own, or know about, there's always one that's faster. That's the one rule about cars that's never been broken. Someone can make that M-B go faster than 268mph. Furthermore, someone can make that Bugatti or Audi go faster as well.

It's attainable because race cars are measured in thousandths of a second and hundredths of a mph. Record breaking attempts usually consist of only two runs. That M-B can't go 268mph for very long or for repeated days without destroying its engine or other mechanicals. Consequently, it doesn't mean a whole lot.

Old 05-06-2006, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

I agree but like u said b4 classes or categories and the McLaren and others like it are classified as production automobiles. I mean look at a dragest or Funny car fast in a strait line but put on a road couse and a miata will beat it.

Old 05-07-2006, 01:20 AM

... and my beat up ol' Jeep will beat an F1 off road. Like I said, the "fastest" title doesn't mean a whole lot because it has little meaning, especially in real life. It's which car crosses the finish line first. That's the fastest one. That's the title that means something.

Old 05-07-2006, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

And then if they are the fastest in it's class, then they should say that. That's like saying I'm THE best. Yeah I might be the best at chess but that doesn't mean I'm the best over all at everything like it would imply if I said I was the best and or the fastest.

It's like everyone is claiming to be the fastest. Maybe they are the fastest in it's class, or that day, or that hour or with that body style or such but I don't think anyone can truely claim to be THE fastest unless they are THE fastest. For example, Mercedes claims to make the fastest SUV. They never said it was THE fastest automobile. And so far the McLaren is the fastest production vehicle so far until the million dollar Bugatti is released.

It's like bold face lying that most of these automakers is doing by claiming to be THE fastest. If they are going to make that claim, break it into class. Who's the best boxer? vague.

As with race cars and funny cars, most of the time, some big auto manufactuer developed them engines so if a race car is the fastest, then maybe Chevy can claim that prize.

And so far I don't know any car that can sustain speeds of 200 mph and keep it as an everyday driver without it breaking easy and or quickly.

And anyone that puts an F1 off road is one, either a nutcase or two just have too much time and money on thier hands.

So in esscense everyone's car is the fastest. paradox

Old 05-07-2006, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Of course, I'll put my two cents in on this conversation.

I wonder if the people selling this car were around during the races for which it was built? Or better yet track side. I wonder if anyone more informed will chime in and add to anything I say. The car was build near the end of the Camel GT2 series which was disbanded and replaced by the IMSA GT2, which was basically the same tour except with an open cockpit design for safety reasons. And then there was the world circuit, including Lemans etc.

No doubt faster than anything on the street, to say it is the fastest car, even among its nearest, including Riley-Scott Fords, and Ferrari 333SPs, is quite lofty. In other words, expect Ferraristas to challenge those comments. I spoke directly with executors back in 96-97,and asked why the lucky7 v12 was not used to compete for the top three pole positions, and was told that the v8 was a more practical engine to use because of "fuel consumption and availability of the engine blocks". Meanwhile Max Papis and the Ferrari333s pretty much dominated the series in the US during those years. But that doens't mean it wouldn't look fine in a MB collector's garage. And since the design was changed immediately after it's completion, the car is extraordinarily rare, and it's value likely to increase substancially, if given a good home and some publicity.

Oh, I have my own pics of that series too. Hmm, time flies.

Charles

Old 05-08-2006, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry if that sounded too aggresive. It's just my stainless knee joints talking. Just say, "SHUT-UP OLD GOAT".

Charles

Old 12-13-2008, 10:31 PM

Currenlty the worlds fastest STREET LEGAL PRODUCTION CAR is a Bugatti Veyron. 0-60mph in 2.5 sec. Top speed of 253mph.

Quick Reply: All of the fastest cars in the world.