New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

suggestion for new car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 08:18 PM
Default suggestion for new car?

Hi everybody, Im new to the forum I am trying to keep it under $45k with navigation, well I would like a fully loaded car. I prefer a 4 door and 4 wheel drive. I was looking at the C240, and the C320.

If anybody has any suggestions for which one I should get and why pelase let me know. How much should I go to the dealer expecting to pay, etc?

Thanks for the help

Old 07-04-2004, 10:38 PM
Default RE: suggestion for new car?

45k may be a little tight a new 2005 C320 4-matic w/ DVD navigation, xenon lights, sunroof package (includes dimming mirrors, rear window sunshade, rain sensor, homelink garage door opener, and sun roof[8D] ), cd-changer ($420 option)
Total comes out to be $45,760 exluding tax. add another $680 for metallic paint.
It depends on your dealer, I know some dealers don't negotiagte, and some will sell at around invoice. So shop around.
Also you might want to look for the 2004 model which the dealers may have left in stock, always big discounts on those, but thre are no DVD navigation, only CD-ROM. 2005 models also has a new look both inside and out.
Mercees has also dropped the free-maintenece program for model year 2005.
You can also check out the Audi A4, and BMW 3 series,

Old 07-04-2004, 11:46 PM

I personnally would go for the C320, skip the nav and the 4matic, if you find one with ESP, traction control, brake assist there is no need for 4 matic, the last three are standard, you need to get the ESP at extra cost. My 99 C280 is equipped like this and listed for close to $43K when new and I haven't bought a set of snow tires yet, no need, I live in the sonw belt by the way, also if you turn off the ESP, your rear end then is a locking differential and if you do get stuck your out in a jiffy, I think they still have the electronic trans with the summer, winter settings this is all you need. As far as the NAV system, remember with all these systems, big brother has the potential to watch every move you make, and if you need a nav system to get around, stop driving, IMHO these things are unnecessary toys to play with. The C320 is "has a nicer interior then the other W203's just like my 99 C280 has a nicer interior then other W202's I also have the full leather package, Bose system, moon roof, for $43 grand at the time it is a bargain. Qualifty wise I don't know, Mercedes has dropped down quite a bit, but it's because of the stupid Nav and phone systems,my C280 has had one MAS, 1 O2 sensor and a battery replaced since new, don't believe the BS that the dealer we tell you about using a non Mercedes phone, I use a Nokia and had not problem with anything, but would opt for the XM radio if it is availabe, other wise buy a drivers car and not an old man's car. This is being written by an old man by the way.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2546/4A0F03D0AE674AF0B6D3B211E0B14F23.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-07-2004, 06:13 PM

Without hesitation I would get a leftover E320 or get the price down on a 2005. It is a MUCH better car, with attention to detail a cut above everything else. The C is nice, but a bit cramped, IMO, and not as well equipped. The fuel mileage should be comparable.

My E320 CDI handles superbly - I drive it 75 mph sometimes in the on-ramps and it doesn't quiver one bit. Don't let the "sporty" look of a smaller car fool you, the E is a tremendous car and worth the money.