New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

Southeast Texas Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 12:30 PM
Red face Southeast Texas Newbie

Hi everyone,
First, I joined this site as I am in the market to buy a car. I am a single parent and was looking at, well "other" makes when a friend called and said he had a great deal on a 1981 450 SL. To be honest, I was in the market for a new car but I have always had a love for old vehicles. I'm getting more information on this car but I do have questions that my friend couldn't answer. So, I'm hoping for some help here and if all ends the way I hope it will then I'm sure I'll be around for some time.
So with that let me tell you a little about this car. It's been garage kept, it does have one small spot on the front left side hood where there is paint chipped off from something that fell on it. (I have a friend that custom paints cars and can fix it) It did not leave a dent and there are no dents or scratches anywhere else. The inside is perfect, no worn areas at all. It has 93,000 miles on it. Oh and it's also a real pretty bronzy color. It's an automatic and takes gas not diesel.
Here are my questions:
The owner said these cars hold up, mileage wise, like Toyotas...that is they are good for 200-300,000 miles with care. Can anyone verify that?
I do realize for a car that is 28 years old 93,000 miles is good. Are there any little "quirks" or issues with this make of car?
The owner told my friend that if he had to ask he didn't need a Mercedes, however let me include this: I have been divorced for only a few years so I'm basically on my own and having to learn many new things!
I do have another car that I am keeping for a daily ride, at least until I decide to sell it. Right now I have 2 cars, one will be sold. (Not that it's relevant here, just something to say...lol)
Thanks, ahead of time, for any responses I get. I look forward to hearing from you and reading the posts on this site to see what I can learn.
~mikel~