New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

Online Scams on the rise!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 05:33 PM
Default Online Scams on the rise!

Believe it or not. Even after the huge newstory about the Nigerian scam, people are still forking out money to scammers. To read more about these go to http://www.trader4less.com/scam.asp

Please post any questions or comments here!

Thank you!!

Old 04-18-2005, 07:36 PM
Default RE: Online Scams on the rise!

Ironic that most of these scams can be avoided if people only used their common sense. But the older I get the more I think people have lost their ability to have any common sense?

Old 04-19-2005, 12:23 AM

I dont think common sense is a strong suit for many people. If it seems to good to be true, it probably is!

Old 04-19-2005, 09:21 AM

Scams don't play against your common sense. It would be too easy for most people to turn away if that were the case. Scams play against your greed. Most people are so greedy they can easily ignore their common sense and convince themselves the scam is true because they stand to gain something if it is.

Old 04-19-2005, 11:21 AM

What is say is true. Part of the problem is our society in general, most people have a need to obtain wealth. If they are not equipped to do so, they overlook the obvious and fall into these scams

Old 04-19-2005, 11:30 AM

The Nigerian Cashiers Check Scam is probably one of the worse ones.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

I was on a mailing list for this scam and you would not believe how many people got duped by this due to the "BANKS" telling them that the Cashiers Check was GOOD. Then after a couple weeks they came back and said it was a fake.

I feel those people got burned big time! From their own friggin BANKS!

Old 04-19-2005, 12:29 PM

Thats exactly right...and the people didnt get there money back either and the banks didnt back them up! Crazy!

Old 04-19-2005, 01:15 PM

Banks are and have been a business that is very much like a computer, in that they run in a binary mode or better said black and white mode. If it is black it is OK and if it is white it is OK. But anything off the normal and they fail, and you can't reboot a bank.

Oddly banks haven't changed the way they operate internal for over a century. Considering the world we live in today, banks are old school business and very old school thinking. Ever try getting a loan for something the bank knows nothing about, you might as well be talking to my dog. On the outside they seem to be progressive and high tech, at least that is what they want the public to believe, but "inside" it is the some old boy thinking. Also, their hiring, firing and promotion policies are in place to please the government watchdogs of such things and give out titles such as branch manager, VP's readily but the pay compared to other industry, on a evolution scale is near the bottom. Trying to get help from a bank when somethings goes wrong as you described is furtile at best.

I deal at times with the industry for letters of credit for export shipments and I'm always amazed how banks operates and still succeed despite themselves?

Old 04-19-2005, 01:20 PM

Wow... someone else that believes that the banks need revamping! But the good ol boys wont have it because they are making so much money. And if it is broke, dont fix it attitude should be deleted!

Old 04-19-2005, 01:42 PM

You got that right!

Quick Reply: Online Scams on the rise!