New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

newbie from DownUnder

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 06:47 AM
Default newbie from DownUnder

G'day from Oz, fellow Benzheads!

This is a long shot, but I'm asking the whole world in hope of some answers.

In the UK there was a coachbuilder / customiser by name of Crayford.

Crayford made some station wagon (English = estate car) variants of the W116 (and other) series Benz.

As Crayfords have changed direction (no longer coachbuilders) and ownership they appear to have no interest in responding to my e-mails.

I'm trying to discover the following:

1. How many estate car / station wagon conversions did the English coachbuilder Crayford make? (I have read of numbers between 12 and 60. I suspect the 60 might include conversions on W114/115 and W108 chassis as well as W116.)

2. What was the model breakdown of those (i.e. 280SE, 280SEL, 350 ...)?

3. How many are known to still exist? (I know of three in Australia - one recently acquired by yours truly. I'm also led to believe there may be one in the US - a 450SEL 6.9 - a rather expensive dog-wagon.)

4. Does anyone know of any available literature on the W116 Crayfords? I have found one general Crayford document that includes W114/5, W108/9, and W116, but very little actual info - just photos. I'm in the market for any relevant literature.

I recently acquired a Crayford 116 280SE for restoration. It originally belonged to Rolf Harris, British-resident Australian entertainer (paperwork proof with car).

I'm trying to determine just how rare a beast I have (not that I plan to sell it - I've never been able to part with any Benzes yet, which is why I have nine (I think!).

Here are some W116 Crayford estate pics - not of mine, which is cosmetically somewhat - but not irretrievably - challenged, and is currently 1500 km from home.

There were also non-Crayford European conversions (Binz, Meissen, Rappold/Wulfrather Karosseriewerk) of Benz sedans but these 116 conversions were not at all handsome compared with the Crayford (and, as they are not Crayfords, don't interest me). Here are some of those:

Any and all responses appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Gordon