New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

New here

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 08:04 PM
Default RE: New here

Oh, and as I said, I wasn't trying to insult you. Do a search here on "drag racing" and I think you'll see where I'm coming from. Did you find anything? Look at my list of cars and you can see I'm not against drag racing.

Please, just open a topic or make a post and don't use the words Renntech, ECU, or pulley. We heard you already.

Old 09-15-2005, 02:31 AM

Well I don't want to install this if its going to have harsh affects, but so far I hear nothing but praise.

I just want more power, as if 600 isn't enough...I will be contacting Renntech soon, and discussing what exactly the chip does. Luckily they are in or near San Diego, which is where we are located.

I have my own opinions on this car, and my opinion, if true, would essentially say that Renntech's chip can do very little. But it seems that I could be wrong.

Thanks

Old 09-15-2005, 10:35 AM

That's a sensible approach. My overriding point is don't go out and buy something based solely on hype. We both know, however, that Renntech is going to praise their product and avoid saying anything bad about it. I mean, come on. On the other hand, they won't get defensive if you press them for supporting data. They won't tell you that they don't want to waste their time on you.

Be sure to discuss CA gas and how their product performs using it. I know of one aftermarket programmer for the big three car makers (Hypertech) that has unique programming to deal specifically with the gas you get in CA. For example, you will have wasted your money if you load the Renntech program but your knock sensors keep reducing performance back to stock. That's why you should check before and after data. Altitude is also important. Let them know whether you're at or near sea-level or way up in the mountains.

As much as you seem to know about cars, you should very well know that you must trade something for increased performance. Most commonly, it will be reliability and a well-behaved engine. At the very least, you will shorten the life of the engine by increasing boost. That's not necessarily a bad trade, IMO, but one everyone needs to be aware of.

Old 09-15-2005, 04:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Lugnut

That's a sensible approach. My overriding point is don't go out and buy something based solely on hype. We both know, however, that Renntech is going to praise their product and avoid saying anything bad about it. I mean, come on. On the other hand, they won't get defensive if you press them for supporting data. They won't tell you that they don't want to waste their time on you.

Be sure to discuss CA gas and how their product performs using it. I know of one aftermarket programmer for the big three car makers (Hypertech) that has unique programming to deal specifically with the gas you get in CA. For example, you will have wasted your money if you load the Renntech program but your knock sensors keep reducing performance back to stock. That's why you should check before and after data. Altitude is also important. Let them know whether you're at or near sea-level or way up in the mountains.

As much as you seem to know about cars, you should very well know that you must trade something for increased performance. Most commonly, it will be reliability and a well-behaved engine. At the very least, you will shorten the life of the engine by increasing boost. That's not necessarily a bad trade, IMO, but one everyone needs to be aware of.
I agree for the most part. Being in California themselves, I'm sure Renntech has the provisions.

I agree and disagree on the last statement. Reliability is not an issue, as the car is still under warranty, and we don't plan on keeping it past 50,000 miles anyways. And the enigne losing its civilness is purely a result of tuning. The fact that it offers flawless drivability with 600hp is proof of that. But when you mod a 200hp car up to 300, often times the person doing the mods overlooks tuning, figuring that the factory ECU is advanced enough to handle it. They are in a snese of performance and engine safety, but not in terms of the car's civilness to drive. SInce the Renntech is a tuning product, I'm sure there are little drivability drawbacks.

Old 09-15-2005, 05:27 PM

I think your problems, should you have any, will be limited primarily to the engine running hotter and causing pre-detonation. I would ask if the programming has user parameters. For example, you should be able to adjust the temp at which the cooling fans turn on without having to take the car back to them for re-tuning. That way, you can experiment with thermostats and fan settings.

Another example, you should be able to adjust the trans shift points. This would also take experimenting to find the best points.

Old 09-15-2005, 08:50 PM

Yah I am hoping they can do the fans as well as the car runs hotter than I'd like as it is.

I'd also like to lower the thermostat temps, but I'm sure they aren't easy to change...