New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

New '06 E350 owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 08:54 AM
Default New '06 E350 owner

Hi everyone, I am a first time Mercedes owner and new to the forum. I just bought a 2006 E350 and love it! I bought it with 52,000 miles. I was wondering if I should buy an extended warranty. I have been told that it is a good idea because of all the hi-tech electrical stuff and the fact that if anything goes wrong an the car, it would be ridiculously expensive in which case the warranty would pay for itself. I'm torn!! I appreciate everyone's advice.
Paul

Old 11-10-2009, 03:49 PM

Interesting that I have just bought the same make and model year as you and have been wondering the same thing. I have until April of next year when my factory warranty is up to decide something. Thanks for any advice.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:56 AM

Hi classicguy,

I poked around throughout this and other forums, and the only consensus I got was that for every person that said you should get it, there was one that said it was a waste of money. I personally decided to go ahead and buy the warranty. We have a very reputable independent shop in my area called AutoHaus that sells and services all Mercedes. I bought a 4 year/48,000 warranty from them. Only catch is they have to do the work. Which is fine as they are an authorized M shop. I bought their gold package which covers high-tech electrical stuff as well as the normal engine, transmission, etc. I paid $2300. I drive few miles, and I can guarantee I will see 4 years before I see 48k miles. I figure I'm good up to close to 100,000 miles. It you look into the extended warranty, you certainly have time to think about it. If I had been a multiple mercedes owner with years of experience under my belt, maybe I wouldn't have bought it. But I don't have the deep pockets to take that chance right now. Good luck to you!

Old 12-10-2009, 02:27 PM

Lo govna,

Thanks for the info. I have decided to buy one as well, but am not sure what the exact cost will be. Like you, I would fear something major going out and it doesn't take much. I hear the suspension I think it is (that automatic noise sound you hear occassionally) can be $3000 to replace and it has a reputation of going out on these models.

Good luck with yours and as of now for me, wow what I car I have!

Old 01-02-2010, 02:31 PM

Paul,
I think that is a deal and you will sleep better. Figure, 4 years about $600/yr, but you know you are covered, and probably will get expedited service if needed.
Question, what did MB dealership want for the extended? Maybe you purchased privately.
I have owned MB diesels since 1984, but am remiss to move up to the BluTech diesel for the electronics complexity. (Also the bucks)

Best of Luck,
Gary