New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

my first Mercedes and a 2005 C230 question

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 11:59 AM
Default my first Mercedes and a 2005 C230 question

I just bought my first mercedes, a C230, Kompressor. I have a couple of questions!

1. How do I check the oil-level? the dip-stick is only 2-inches long! I assume its broken off at the handle. is that possible?
2. where do I find an Owners Manual? Ebay or a dealer?
3. There are 2 un-identifyable buttons on the dash. what are they?
a. in the middle of the dash, a button with a picture of a car raised-up, looking like its on a tow truck.
b. also in the middle of the dash a button that looks like the profile of a front-seat, with the head-rest bent-backwards, and the headrest (only) is highlighted.

what do these mean? and how do I check the oil level?

thanks, the car drives GREAT! ! ! now I love LA! Jim

Old 09-01-2009, 06:10 PM

Hi, Im just about to buy a C class mercedes. I think switch A is to turn the alarm off if your car goes on a tow truck. Switch B is to drop the rear headrests as they flip back so they dont block your rear view.

Hows your car? Im just wondering what reliabilties like before I go and buy one. probably Wednesday this week!

Cheers

Cal

Old 09-03-2009, 12:06 AM

yes, I also heard the the rear head-rests 'flop-down' when you push button B. I dont know what switch A does, but I was told to push it when being towed - - -it has something to do with the suspension. . . (I wonder why this particular button is in the MIDDLE of the dash? Do Mercedes get towed A LOT???) They could have put that button in a hiding spot, glove-box, or underneath. . .

I love driving it - - - - BUT IT RIDES HARSH! ! ! WAY TOO BUMPY FOR ME, Maybe larger tires or the 'non-kompressor' model has a better ride. I dont like this one. Jim

Old 09-05-2009, 12:18 AM

Never heard of it before but I suppose the dip stick could break off. On a large number of MBs the oil level can be checked from the on board computer once the car has been off for at least 5 minutes. Scroll through the steering wheel selections. It may be there. My 02 coupe has it.
Previous replies correctly describe the two buttons you mentioned. You (or your passengers) have to manually pull up the rear headrests but the button releases them.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:40 AM

thanks for the updates.
1. I did learn that MBZ stopped supplying dispsticks for 4 years, but now they are in the cars again. Also BMW still dont supply dipsticks. . . mine is a 2005, an not there. (the dealer DOES have them to check the oil-level)
2. I can buy a dipstick from a mbz mechanic. . . . but he did say that the onboard computer 'is accurate'. . . I am going to buy a dipstick anyway.
3. The head-rest button is correct, it 'drops' all 3 rear headrests if they are up. Apparently they limit the rearview view when they are up.
4. the 'towing' button does 2 things, the light is ON when you set the alarm, plus the button 'locks' the rear-wheels when the car is locked, to stop someone from stealing or rolling your car away. jim

Old 09-07-2009, 02:33 PM

One other thing about the on board computer for checking oil. When the Service indicator is reset after an oil change it does two things; a. It counts down kilometers (miles) and also; b. counts down time. On my 2002 C230 Coupe, the reset is 15,000 km and the time reset is 13 months. Since my car only has 40,000 km on it (25000 mi) it frequently runs out of time before it runs out of mileage. Once the 13 months time is passed the on board computer will no longer measure the oil level. I don't know if this crazy design flaw has ever been rectified.
BTW, my 2008 BMW does not have a dipstick either.