New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

Looking at buying a Mercedes.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 02:02 AM
Default Looking at buying a Mercedes.

Here's the situation. The last American designed car I'll ever own was just struck by a spun bearing at 160K miles so the engine is probably toast. I can put a used engine in it, but I'll still need to replace the bearings to have a little peace of mind. Total cost if I DIY it will be around $1000....basically what the car is worth with a good motor. Since it would cost the worth of the car plus about 30 hours of my labor (I'm **** about this stuff) I started looking around at Mercedes. I currently own two Porsches ('87 928 and '00 Boxster) and I love the German engineering. I'm considering an older model Mercedes, probably a mid-late 1980's 300-400 series and it seems I can get a pretty nice one with <150K miles for under $2500 in my area.

My wife and I carpool to work in the Boxster and I take the 928 on days we can't carpool so the Mercedes will probably be driven about 2-3 times/week when we need to take our daughter and friends somewhere. I do all of the maintenance and repairs to my other cars and will do the same with the Mercedes. I can't spend much on it to start with since we have a wedding to pay for this year so it's going to have to be the older models in good running condition. If I look at 1984-1989 model years, is there a model to avoid (high maintenance costs, parts availability, known problems, etc.) Is there a model year that added new, great options? What are your thoughts on the model for my situation?

TIA!![sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 10-05-2006, 03:34 PM
Default RE: Looking at buying a Mercedes.

Welcome to the forum, deliriousga!!

I can't comment on the type Merc you're looking for, but you'll probably find an answer to your question if you pose it in the "S" or "E" Class forums.

Good Luck in your search!

Old 10-05-2006, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Looking at buying a Mercedes.

I am quaified any mercedes out of that time period will make u very happy. However all parts are expepensive u own Porsches so u understand this. What to look for when u buy is one that have been taken care of and make sure all the electronics work. If you dont u will pay later electric gremlins in any car is bad but older luxury cars are worse because of all the wiring for seats and such. If you go for the W126 s-class which i own two of. They all are about equal in repair costs except the 560 and its main difference is the rear hydralic suspension if the pump of shocks go it is very expensive to replace they rarely if the hydralic fluid is changed regularly. Other than that nothing other than regular maintainence