New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

I'm SUFFERING

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 03:09 AM
Default I'm SUFFERING

2001 S500 w/ 109,000 miles. Vehicle has been misfiring for almost 3 years. Vehicle has been at the MB Dealership & 2 other reputable repair facilities. In the repair shop for 5 ENTIRE MONTHS this year.

Vehicle misfires on cylinders 3,4,5,7 - Causing the check engine light 2 come on. Vehicle stalls & completely looses power. Had 2 stop the vehicle & restart for the first 1 year of ownership as no one could figure out the problem. Once the car was restarted it would run fine. The check engine light would remain on then eventually go out. This may occur again the next week or 2 weeks later. Been an ongoing problem. The problem has gotten increasingly worse over the last 15 months. Spent over $3000.00 attempting 2 repair.
Last week they told me it “may” need a fuel pump $900.00. Now they're saying it “may” need a computer which would be $1800.00.

To date the following work has been performed but has not corrected the problem.
All sparkplugs & wires were changed
4 new ignition coils were installed on the misfiring cylinders
New air mass flow meter installed
Ran camera through both catalytic converters & they are functioning properly
Intake exhaust system is functioning properly

I'm completely frustrated with this vehicle. I've spent $5500 n the last 2 months on other problems this year.
01/2011 Struts repaired
02/2011 Control Arms replaced
02/2011 Ignition & Shifter locked up @ the same time.

The truly sad part is that I absolutely love my car. I've owned 2 Intiniti Q45's, Lexus LS400, BMW 740IL & finally I got the S500 that I fell in love with on sight. I love the power. I'm a little speed demon (always safely). However this car is beginning to remind me of a bad relationship. I put my time & energy & $ into this car & all I getting is crap. Is it time 2 walk away?

Old 07-16-2011, 01:45 PM

Run! Don't even walk.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:38 AM

im in streamwood illinois 60107
ernesto 630 8547567 work on MB, call me .
close to RT 19 and RT 59 1 minute walk from napa.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:03 AM

ask them if they tried to reset the ring gear adaptation/ crank sensor adaptation.
also flashing the engine control unit should be also done.
these are simple but sometimes very effective and i have seen them fix misfire problems.

maybe the timing chain is streached?

also make sure the wiring harness to the coils and injectors arent chaffed threw on the top of the engine. if youve been to a good dealer these things should have already been done.

sometimes the simple things are the problem.

also they should check the heads for carbon build up. remove the 2 air diverter valves( in front of the intake manifold) and see if they are clogged up. be careful not to twist them to hard because they can beak off in the head.

Last edited by chassis221; 07-23-2011 at 09:07 AM.