New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

Hello from Seattle!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 09:39 AM
Default Hello from Seattle!

Hi folks, just registered here.

Proud new first time owner of a 87 300d turbo, 6cyl 603 diesel enginewith 124 body. Been pondering idea of biodiesel and alternative fuels so I gave up the SUV and got a diesel. So far I have enjoyed the transition. The benz is a way safer and more comfortable ride for someone with sciatica issues like me.

Plus the guy I got this car from took my SUV off my hands!
Plus its a MERCEDES BENZ, yeah its my first status symbol material purchase ever!

So I have issues and have made a checklist of things wrong with this car:
Needs transmission adjustment, clunky, sudden shiftsand surged in reverse once.
Needs 2 window motors replaced (checked the switches against good ones).
Needs new passenger visor (things sag after 20 years).
Needs diesel purge and possible injector rebuild (it's pretty gutless up hills, most is expected).
Needs odometer rebuild or new cable (will try the dieselhead rebuild suggestion first).
Needs dash bulbs replaced (can you say DIM?).
Needs seat-back baskets reattached (manual was too vague about how to do this).
Needs some sort of gasket seal on front of engine replaced (very dirty, greasy)
Needs the last 2 fuel tank Viton lines replaced (I cant find them without the car on a rack in the air).

So if anyone reads this and has suggestions on how to do any of the above procedures I'd be emmensely grateful. Otherwise I'm certain I'll just post them individually as I get closer to addressing the problems. This weekend I'm planning on changing out the tranny fluids and clean the filter and try and find this mythical "tranny modulator" I hear about, supposedly allows me to adjust how hard/soft tranny shifts?

Also the vacuum lines on this thing remind me of DaNiro's rolein the movie "Brazil"... so I will check them all out and make sure I replace the beat up hoses.

Anyways I look forward to asking many Qs and discussing matters with you folks.

cheers!

-=John

Old 06-15-2007, 03:42 AM
Default RE: Hello from Seattle!

Seattle huh? I'm just south of you, about an hour away here in the po-dunk city of Yelm. Figured I'd post to say hello, and suggest how to fix a few things on your car...

"Needs transmission adjustment, clunky, sudden shifts and surged in reverse once. "

This is probably the 4th time I post this tonight, but I'll post it here too.. If its an automatic, change transmission oil filter, which you will have to drain the tranny oil, drop the pan, remove the gasket, get a new filter AND gasket, replace everything and refill with new oil. See if that helps.

"Needs diesel purge and possible injector rebuild (it's pretty gutless up hills, most is expected). "

You should never have to purge your fuel lines. In fact with a diesel, typically if you run it out of fuel, you have you bleed your entire fuel lines, otherwise you'll end up with a massive vapor lock. Rebuild the injectors? Nah, replace them with new ones. They're cheap.

"Needs odometer rebuild or new cable (will try the dieselhead rebuild suggestion first). "

Try disconnecting the line and lubricating it with some sort of graphite powder lube. Yes, powder lube. If its an electronic speed sensor, check the sensor, make sure its clean. Usually this is the case with '86 and newer cars.

"Needs dash bulbs replaced (can you say DIM?). "

Either that, or in your center console there is a dimmer switch for your dash cluster and surroundings. Try locating it and turning up the juice. Disassembling a dash in a MB is a pain in the backside.

"Needs some sort of gasket seal on front of engine replaced (very dirty, greasy) "

Check your valve cover gasket. If your head(s) is covered with oil, thats probably where its coming from. If its coming from the lower front of the engine, change your oil pan gasket, and possibly the front main seal. If its coming from the back of the engine, it could be your rear main seal. All pretty easy to do, although it requires dropping your oil pan. Unless its your valve cover gasket of course.

Hope some of this helps. Feel free to send me a private message and I'll help you further if I can.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:57 AM
Default RE: Hello from Seattle!

I've been by Yelm, not sure why but I'm sure it's there.
Going to get a trans filter KIT today, as well as the filter for my PS and some dextron. As well as a can of Trans flush and Trans guard (unstick some stuff and keep it unstuck).

The purge Im speaking of is that procedure Dieselhed explains of using the 2 cans of LubraMoly to clean out your injectors mostly. To me still sounds like a good idea. I have not encountered any vapor lock issues working on my fuel lines. Ive replaced all the front ones and havent had any issues. The instructions also don't mention vapor lock so I guess I'm just confused. [:-]

I havent found my odo cable under the car yet, when i do Ill try and remove it and do the dry lube you suggest, cuz hell yes the dash rebuild looks like a huge pain, but id still be willing to do that over fork out the huge loads of $$. I have a 87 so I probably have the sensor you speak of, which sounds easier. Just clean it you say?

The dash brightness is cranked indeed, still the bulbs on the right side are out, but looking thru my glove box i see the previous owner had intended on doing this and has the bulbs already, just a matter of getting to them. I just would like to see my tach during night driving.

My front leak as I canfigure from further inspection is the front main, cuz the leak seems to be coming from below the valve cover but from above the oil pan. But Im gonna have the engine cleaned first to be sure, i have time.

Thanks very much for your suggestions, this was the right place to start asking Qs apparently...and Im feeling good about driving a MB diesel now.

I sorta feel like a train conductor in a small classy train, that has no tracks.