New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

Hello all.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 10:49 PM
Default Hello all.

I'm new here (obviously )

I don't own a Mercedes yet.

I'm looking for a diesel for my wife to drive. I think I found one 84-85 300D non-turbo. I should have a price tomorrow from the guy.

I also have leftover parts from my Grandfathers stash of parts and cars he had when he passed. 38, 53, and 63 parts.

Anyway I thought I join up and get some info on the diesels and have a place to come with questions should I have any.

The car I found was in a flood, mud on the floors, but it runs great and had the engine oil, and trans fluid changed. (didn't have any water in either) I don't think the water got to the electrical system in the dash but I will find out tomorrow when I check it out more.

I know the 250 and 350 SL's had a problem with the front subframes rotting out from the firewall to the floors. Is this the case with the W123 bodies too?

I have heard that the non-turbos are slugs also. Is this the case? I drove an 84 VW Rabbit non-turbo and it couldn't stay above 40MPH up hill. I'm not looking for that.

I am looking for 26-30MPGs for sure and I will be running WVO in it come next spring when I get my bio-diesel plant up and running.

Anyway I'm glad to be here and look forward to learning about these cars and making new friends.

Tony

Old 07-16-2012, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction
How about you kill a VW instead?
That's what you have to say, out of everything I wrote? Did you read to the part where it said "bio-diesel plant" Wow the first response to my first thread and I get that. Nice introduction and welcome FI........ I sure hope you are not an example of "all" the members here.

The WVO will be fully filtered and cooked down into full bio-diesel, and I will be running a 50/50 mix of diesel and bio diesel with a pump lube additive.

There will be no killing of the car as a matter of fact. The guy at the shop where it sits told me he's ready to scrap it. So in all reality I'm saving the car.
My son's old shop teacher had a 300D he ran the same fuel through, and ran it for 8 years then sold the car to buy a Jetta TDI that he is running the same WVO through currently. He is also going to help my Dad and I with the processing plant setup since he's been running WVO for the last 15 years in everything he owns, from yard tractors to 10 wheel straight trucks. I think he knows what he's doing.

I will also be running the 50/50 mix in my Dodge Cummins truck also.