New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

hello to all!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 02:57 PM
Default hello to all!

i am the proud owner of an '82 240 D and, as of late, have been put thru the ringer tryin to keep her runnin. if someone has the time, please email me, and i'll write in detail what hasbeen goin on w/ the car, and what i've done to try and keep her on the road. i am currently unemployed, and must stretch my transportation dollars as far as i can, pending a knee surgery that has to be done ASAP... just tryin to keep the old girl runnin a few more months, as i've considered a rebuild, i know i need to reseal the engine, both front and rear, and i know i need valve seals, as my oil consumption has gone up as of late. i've always done the maintenance, and work on all my vehicles, and as of late, i've been left on the side of the road a few times too many! if someone has the time, please email me, and i'll write in detail what i've done, and maybe( i think my problem could be minor, something i'm overlookin), through the knowledge/experiences of eveyone here, i may be able to gain enough knowledge to keep her goin just a while longer, while i'm healin up. i've been hoppin a lot of rides, as it's my left freakin knee, and clutchin this thing right now is damn near impossible, so, if my wife and daughter are gonna be drivin me around for a while, i can't have the old girl pullin the hotsatrt/ no start routine on them! anyway, i've heard good things about this forum, and, hopefully, i might be able to get eb nough info thru this board to keep the old girl goin just a while longer while i'm healing! thanks in advance, louis sineon@ hotmail.com

Old 05-06-2005, 12:45 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: hello to all!

get well soon louis... and welcome.

we can always get a new hardware for your 240D... but not much for the knee.

Old 05-06-2005, 11:42 AM

yes, so true! i've always preached the gospel of the ruggedness, and durability of the manual tranny, but, what i wouldn't give @ times to have an automatic, as clutching this thing is very painful, especially w/ this goofy soft brace they make me wear, supposedly to kepp my knee immobilized......... any thoughts as to why i'm all of a sudden gettin what seems to be too much fuel? which model/year do you drive? thanks for your response, louis

Old 05-06-2005, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

i drive VW POLO daily but i drive all kinds of mercedes-benz, bmw, jaguar and rover everyday. not mine exactly but i sometimes test them to see if anything else needs to be done.

i'm technical advisor on 4 dealerships.

Old 05-07-2005, 08:26 AM
pbk

That's why you know everything. I thought so.

Old 05-07-2005, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

it's so difficult to catch up with technology.

they re-design the control units and functions continuosly. every 4 years, the hardware and software inside the older and new version is completely different but the same function,.. the reason why the end user doesn't notice.

knowing everything is impossible. there is even an error between the designers and artists when it comes to interpretations on output of the work. we only find them out sometimes during the troubleshooting and fault finding. this is the point where the modifications are based upon.

my memory got full that the knowledge on older models are gone and replaced by the most recent technology.

Old 05-07-2005, 11:21 PM
pbk

I still admire all the auto tech's like you because like you said "it never stops" but you guys keep on plugging away.

Old 05-07-2005, 11:24 PM

I know what you mean Sleepwalker. I read the install manual for a new DVD player I bought, and now I can't remember how to tie my shoes!!

Old 05-08-2005, 01:08 AM
Super Moderator