New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

Have you been Starmarked?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 01:01 PM
Default Have you been Starmarked?

Below is an account of a recent conversation with a Mecedes-Benz Customer Relations Liaison. The Liaison confirms that a Mercedes-Benz vehicle can be Starmark Certified if it has sustained major damage to the body.
Dear Mercedes-Benz of America,

Mercedes-Benz of [redacted] did not disclose to me that the "Starmark Certified" vehicle I purchased had received extensive body- and paint work prior to my purchase. The repair work is apparent only by seeing the vehicle in sunlight. The Mercedes-Benz dealership from which I purchased the vehicle has no outdoor area to view preowned vehicles, therefore, the vehicles cannot be easily viewed in sunlight. I am certain that if there was other significant damage to the vehicle before I bought it, disclosure of that damage was not made to me.

I think "Starmark" certification is a deception tactic.

Because of my susceptibility to deceptive practice by Mercedes-Benz dealers, I have lost trust in Mercedes-Benz. When I drive my vehicle, I am reminded of and sickened by the unscrupulousness of the Mercedes-Benz dealer and by the unseemly business practices condoned and rewarded by Mercedes-Benz of America. If Mercedes-Benz of America was sufficiently committed to fair practice, Mercedes-Benz of America would have implemented reliable systems to prevent deceptive business practices.

----- Original Message -----

Dear Mercedes-Benz Vehicle Owner,

“Thank you for your e-mail.

“We regret your expressed discontent regarding the Starmark Certified [vehicle] you purchased from Mercedes-Benz of [redacted] and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

“As you may be aware, all Mercedes-Benz dealers are independently owned and operated and as such, are solely responsible for their own daily business operations including personnel, pricing policies, retails sales, etc. Nonetheless, your disappointment is of course, ours, and we are of course concerned about the feelings you have relayed. Please be assured that your comments have been documented in our reporting system and shared appropriately.

“Please note that previous accident/body damage does not preclude a vehicle from being Starmark certified; frame damage would. That you feel that the dealer was aware of previous accident damage and did not disclose it to you is indeed unfortunate; the selling dealer is of course in the best position to answer any questions you may have about this issue.

“Thank you again for your communication, and for this opportunity to respond.

“Sincerely,

“Customer Relations Liaison”

Dear Mercedes-Benz Customer Relations Liaison,

Immediately after my discovery of the body damage, I discussed at length this discovery with both the person who sold me the car and with the person in charge of Starmark Pre-Owned sales. The results of these discussions were unsatisfactory, therefore, I wrote the comment that you recently received from me.

My vehicle has damage to the exterior that covers an area approximately the size of two-thirds of the rear surface and includes significant surface smoothness irregularities, visible body filler ("bondo") patchwork, and abnormal waviness of the surface.

The Starmark Certified vehicle I bought had been seriously damaged before I bought it. The independently owned and operated Mercedes-Benz dealer sold the vehicle to me using deceptive tactics. The damage was imperceptible under the upstairs, windowless showroom's dim lights. I never suspected that the vehicle had had major bodywork.

Dear Mercedes-Benz Vehicle Owner,

“Thank you for your reply.

“We acknowledge your disappointment with our initial response and give our assurance that your feelings have been documented and share accordingly.

“To clarify again, only frame damage would preclude a vehicle from Starmark Certification. We recognize that you believe that Mercedes-Benz of [redacted] did not disclose previous body damage and/or repairs.

“Mercedes-Benz USA did honor it's commitment to the terms of our Starmark Warranty, and we truly regret your expressed discontent.

“Sincerely,

“Customer Relations Liaison”

Dear Mercedes-Benz Customer Relations Liaison,

I understand that Mercedes-Benz, whether as an independently owned and operated dealership or as an "actual" DaimlerChrysler- or Mercedes-Benz company, will do nothing of substantive consequence regarding the despicable business practice that I experienced from Mercedes-Benz of [redacted].

As a representative of Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC, you have met my expectations.

Old 09-17-2005, 02:17 PM
Default RE: Have you been Starmarked?

StarMark is an extended warranty program for used M-Bs. It's a sales gimmick, not a guarantee of perfection. What's your point with this?

StarMark Program

Old 09-17-2005, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

i think the buyer has made the mistake and want to put the blame on somebody else.

starmark has the other half

All Starmark vehicles are
carefully selected to ensure that only the best cars are designated
"Starmark." These vehicles must pass a 130-plus point inspection performed by
factory trained technicians and are then reconditioned to bring them as close
as possible to like-new condition.

Old 09-17-2005, 03:14 PM

You know as well as I do that the StarMark 130+ point inspection and reconditioning consists of washing the car, taking a looksee at the car in general and making sure it starts and drives, and providing an extended warranty. They don't promise any more than that. If there were a stipulation that stated that M-B would buy back a StarMarked car that had previous body work and punish the dealer who sold it, then this person would have a leg to stand on.

Old 09-17-2005, 04:19 PM

I understand where those of you who replied are coming from. I respect your viewpoints. I was just disappointed, perhaps in myself, that I paid a lot of money for a car but didn't notice that the car had bad body and paintwork. The car is Black Opal, and in the showroom, without windows, with the car backed to a wall, the bad body work wasn't visible. I drove the car, but I didn't park it outside and walk around it in the sunlight. It is ultimately my responsibility, that's true. I was naive and trusting, and it will never happen again. I thought maybe Mercedes would care from a human side, legalities and strict business aside, but they don't. It's just lip service. I thought a Mercedes salesperson might be more honest and perhaps would disclose the true condition of the vehicle, but she didn't. Don't worry, guys, I'm becoming more and more cynical every day, and soon I will look at the world they way you do.

By the way, I have an old and a new Mercedes. Anyone who buys a new Mercedes is sucker, like me. The old ones didn't look so hot on the outside, but they were of the highest quality under the skin. Today's Mercedes look hot, but they're crap underneath (check out the plastic door latches; they were metal even just several years ago. I could go on and on with examples.). I speak from experience. You have to compare them side by side and drive them for a while to understand what I'm talking about. Old Mercedes doors sound solid when slammed because the car is solid. New Mercedes doors sound solid when slammed because of rubber, insulation, and padding. Without all that, they'd sound hollow. An old Mercedes doesn't need the rubber or insulation to sound solid. It just is, even with the rubber deteriorated and compacted.

I'd rather pay the relatively higher price of the older Mercedes (~$32,000 TWENTY years ago) than the cheaper, BMW-like price of a new one today. Today, you don't get nearly what you pay for in a Mercedes. Enjoy your fantasy.

Old 09-17-2005, 05:56 PM

So, now you're mad at us too, eh? Why don't you just get mad at everybody in the whole friggin' world? That should make you happy.

Did you consider that maybe the saleperson, even the dealer, may not have known about the body work? Did you even ask if the car had been wrecked before? Did they lie to you? Did you run a Carfax on it?

You bought a used car. I could understand your rage if it were a new car and they slipped that by you. Caveat emptor. **** happens.

Old 09-17-2005, 09:53 PM

You always get more with sugar, then with vinegar!

Old 09-18-2005, 04:39 AM

Mad at you? No, not at all. That would be impossible, because I don't know you. But by your reaction, you seem mad about what I wrote? I was just expressing myself honestly. Truth hurts sometimes. And, there is nothing wrong with fantasizing. Without a little dreaming and self-deception, the world would be a sadder place. You gotta do what ever floats your boat. We all do. I cannot impart an understanding to you or to anyone else about why my experience with my Starmark Certified Mercedes-Benz vehicle might have upset me. Some persons will understand even without a deposition. Others will not.

In answer to your question about asking about body work or wrecks, getting a Carfax, etc.: I did not ask. Of the vehicles I own or have owned, used or new, I've never had to ask or investigate. I got what I was lead to think I was getting. I guess my luck just ran out. Regardless, is a man richer for trusting or for doubting? I think it depends on how that man defines "rich." That definition from a Mercedes-Benz owners' forum, I shudder to contemplate. In any case, quot homines tot sententiae.

Old 09-18-2005, 10:03 AM

Alrighty, then.

Old 09-18-2005, 11:44 AM

As far a body damage, CARFAX can be wrong as many accidents are unreported. Also, if you read about how to buy a used cars, there are a few "trick" you can look for, body seams straigt, get a plastic based magnet and run it across the body, if it falls off there is either bondo on the panel, or perhaps aluminium panels, which you should know before you buy, check inside the trunk to see if any bondo has leaked thru, or body sealer is missing or looks too new, check under the hood, a lot of get them in and out shops, fix the exterior damage but not any damages under it. Eyeball the car from the frront and back and see if the panels are straigt. Bring a chalk plumb line and snap it, the lenth of the car. Also, snap it on the roof on the left and right side back to front or fron to back. measure the windshield post, and see if they are even on both side, look for new rubber molding. This preowned car buyer learned over the years sometimes, and I was taken in my youth. Remember "Let the buyer beware."

Quick Reply: Have you been Starmarked?