New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

Greetings!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 11:55 PM
Default Greetings!

Hello all,

I have an '85 300SD that I bought in 2000 from a private owner. It had around 345K on the clock at the time, and had been sitting for a couple of years. Straight away I had to replace the radiator and evict a thriving colony of mice, and remove their food stores of Canada mints, trail mix, dog chow and the like from behind this panel and that.

Other repairs have happened along the way since, including replacing the front sway bar, which broke in winter and I had someone else do. About 20 hours of labor involved because it is under practically everything near the firewall.

The car now has 413K on the odo but seems to be running quite satisfactorally.

I will need to replace the AC compressor some time in the near future, and there are a number of minor electrical problems and an obvious need to replace the climate control module, the replacement of which I've already obtained. I do have the genuine factory service manual CDs. As I delve into some of these issues with the aid of the fairer weather on hand I may have questions that hopefully those more knowledgeable can address.

All in all it is a great car as far as I'm concerned, and very enjoyable to operate. When I have worn it completely out I will go out and find another.

Another ambition of mine--spurred on by the ever rising cost of fuel--is to convert this or perhaps another MB diesel to operate on VO. THere is a facility nearby here that offers a kit for around a thousand for the DIY-er to install. Any input on this matter will also be gratefully received.