New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

general benz service

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 09:11 PM
Default general benz service

I'm pretty hot on a new 06 or 07 C230.

My Dad, who used to sell mercedes like 20 years ago, told me to stay away. He said the service is super expensive. He said they need lots of servicing and the dealers are stealers. He said they actually told him not to worry about holding gross during the sale, because they make the money back in spades in service. He also said that it would be rare for me to go in for a simple oil change and spend less than $500, that they would show me my car hooked to the machine and where it says I need something expensive.

Today I heard that the generally expensive upkeep is for real, and that there are ways to get basically all things covered for the first 4 or 5 years, then trade the car.

Looking for advice to help me make up my mind. I can afford to buy a C230, price wise if I make a good deal, but don't want a car that is going to cost 2-3k a year just to upkeep.

Any advice please ?

Thanks,
floyd

Old 10-10-2006, 01:20 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: general benz service

If you take it to a dealer for service then yeah stay away but if u can do stuff urself go for it. I like mine but they are both from the 80s and dont think i will be buying a newer low cost benz such as a C-class. But then again i dont care for the current bmw 3 series either. However i just got a 96 audi a month ago and am very happy with it and already put 2k miles on in that time so before u decide check out the 3series and an A4. Thats my advice or wait till the next generation c-class

Old 10-10-2006, 01:31 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: general benz service

Learn to do your own repairs otherwise your dad is correct, you are screwed. My aunt owns a hot CLK-430 and she had her oil changed a few months ago. It had cost her $300..for an oil change, which is ridiculous! $20 for the oil, $20 for oil filter. And it doesn't take long to do an oil change either. If you plan to buy a Mercedes, have a decent job and know what to buy. Know what classes have what problems. Also definately get a diesel Mercedes, there's fewer parts so it has a less of a chance to have issues. Good luck and happy shopping!