Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/)
-   New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/new-mercedes-benz-forum-members-area-4/)
-   -   Finally joined! W123 300d 617.952 (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/new-mercedes-benz-forum-members-area-4/finally-joined-w123-300d-617-952-a-52965/)

apmattg 02-28-2013 11:58 AM

Finally joined! W123 300d 617.952

Last summer I picked up "Buttercup", a 1984 300d turbo. The previous owner had decided to weld the balancer to the end of the crank after wallowing out the pins. Little did he know how close he was to destruction as the heat loosened the double roller sprocket behind the main seal that drives the cam/pump chain. I did a full rebuild and have put 7000 miles on since. I just finally put a boost gauge on her and see that I am only running around 8.5 lbs of boost and peaking around 10ish lbs during shifts. I added a flow control valve to the wastegate line and want to tune back to stock. I am assuming that my low value can be attributed to the wastegate spring being old. Rebuilt with all stock internals except .005" over pistons. Have not touched the pump. So I guess my question is, where should I set her? Thanks!

apmattg 02-28-2013 01:34 PM

Does removing the limiter allow for more travel than adjusting it? By changing my linkage adjustment will I not have to adjust transmission modulator as well? I have already blocked the egr and removed the "whitey" valves and capped all related lines. On another note has anyone played with the atmospheric reference line to the alda from the cab. Seems like I could install a smoke switch for these pesky CO bicyclists.

apmattg 03-01-2013 10:52 AM

Ok, so maybe the smoke isn't a good idea. Just wondering if it had been explored, seems as if you could introduce vacuum to the atmospheric reference. It also appears that you have been talking to my wife, she often refers to me with the same word. Not sure why diesel sales here are what they are. Every other civilized country in the world has embraced the more efficient engine. Too bad poor Rudolph decided to take a swim. I did turn up boost around 2 psi over stock as I still had a little smoke at WOT. The pump has a tag from a shop in Greeley being rebuilt in 2004, is it possible this extra fuel came from their setup or should I be looking for a problem? I am a firm believer that a properly setup diesel should not smoke, it is just a waste of fuel also causing increased EGTs = Bad!

apmattg 03-01-2013 06:27 PM

During rebuild I used new chains, guides, tensioners, etc. Static timing is at spec. if I remember right 24 degrees BTDC. I do not have any other method of fine tuning pump timing. I have read about the dynamic timing devices but haven't purchased anything. I did have to pull and stab a couple times to get it right and I used the drip method. I modified the rear bracket at the oil filter housing so that the pump is much easier to remove. I have not checked fuel pressure. How do I do this? On the return side? With no restriction back into the tank would this not just show volume vs. pressure. How much sense has the EPA ever made. Gas engines pumping fresh air into the exhaust, yeah it looks better on the meter but we all know what it is doing. How about the venturi in the exhaust in the new diesels? Another introduction of fresh air before an opacity check. How does getting 20% or better less fuel economy on the newer diesels support better emissions, after all I am consuming more fuel? Feels as if we are taking buckets of water from the shallow end to the deep end to fill the pool. Hell, when I order steel it usually comes from China. The EPA has run off a business that built our country. And by the way, don't they know nitrogen is 78% of our atmosphere?

apmattg 03-01-2013 08:47 PM

Totally off topic, but how do I reduce a picture so that I can post it? Buttercup wants to be online.

apmattg 03-02-2013 10:31 PM

So, ForcedInduction, how do you do your work at an apartment? I assume that is your car that ate the girls on the moped?