New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

e420 problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 08:40 PM
Default RE: e420 problems

I suppose CarFax isn't perfect. Garbage in, garbage out, and stuff. The accidents may not have been reported to authorities. Maybe they weren't bad enough? Insurance companies and police weren't called in?

Things are coming together a bit now. The reason the connecting rod (and many other parts) can be bent or broken applies not only to gasoline buildup in the combustion chamber but to any liquid buildup. Like when you drive into a lake with the engine running and suck water into the engine. Don't expect to able to back it out. Liquids don't compress. Something's gotta give when a combustion chamber is full or nearly full of liquid, like gasoline, and the piston rises up on the compression stroke.

That would explain why your starter spins. It's too weak to bend or break stuff so it just fails. It's probably engaged and trying to spin but not able to turn the engine over. You're hearing just the electric motor running and ruining itself. I guess that would be a good thing in this situation. You're gonna need a starter soon if that's true.

If the computer control of the injectors is the problem or they thought it was the problem, why didn't they reload the programming or adjust it? It's doesn't make sense that they'd say that to you without telling you they also took the next step (reloading or adjusting) to correct it. Computer software problems are the easiest to correct. It's like Windows for your PC. You reboot, load a patch, or upgrade when things get stupid.

Old 06-11-2004, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

the thing that could be adjusted are:

>ignition. it can be set to base value, ron90, and ron93.
>injection time. base value, slighly enrich, and enrich
>sensitivity. (the time for the knock sensor and wheel speed sensor) to cut off the faulty cylinder. i usually add 0.5 milliseconds to it on some customers who complaints more about the "check engine" lights coming on.
now guys be careful, this is one way the mechanics can cheat you. they might raise it up to 2.0 milliseconds to conceal your problem without really fixing it. just because your "check engine" light doesn't come on, it doesn't mean your engine is running well.

your normal injection time is 2.8 to 3.2 millisecond. the air mass sensor controls this mainly.

Old 06-12-2004, 12:09 AM

MAF, O2 and air temp sensors, I would think. Or, was MB using OBDII in '97?

They can't say whether a tweak is needed, only that software appears to be causing some sort of fault. They surely looked at the sensor outputs and couldn't see an obvious need for an adjustment. I'm thinking the code may be corrupted somehow. Reloading would fixed that. I know dealers that do this all the time because it's easy and it fixes 98% of computer problems. Again, just like Windows.

I usually unhook and rehook my battery whenever my check engine light comes on in any of my cars (that has one). It clears all the sensor memories and fault codes. Sometimes that's all that's needed-if you don't want to wait a specified number of cold starts.

Old 06-12-2004, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

i am using HHT (hand held tester) in doing it. yes, US version must have obd2 on it.

doctor scott's car must be the 'new eyes' e class 210 model...is it?

reah, removing the battery is good to reset all the faults and adaptation values.

TIP: better touch the two terminal cables together for a moment to totally drain the power.

Old 06-17-2004, 02:54 AM

I didn't realize that car computers could be reprogrammed, rebooted, updated with new patches, etc. I assumed they just needed to be replaced when they go bad. I'll ask my mechanic about this and maybe this will be the solution to my problem. I've been driving the car every day and it's running great.....no hint that there is any problem.

I looked at newer E series cars today and was humbled by the prices......I think I need to hold on to my old one even if more repairs are needed. It's just not worth enough on trade due to 121,000 miles. Your theory on the starter spinning makes a lot of sense also. I'll pass your suggestions along and hopefully some light bulbs will go off and I'll be closer to resolving this problem.

By the way....I appealed to Plaza Motors (they wanted to tear down my engine before I had it towed for the 2nd opinion) and the service manager refunded the $365 they charged me. He was a decent guy about it and is intrigued by the mystery and wants me to keep him posted when and if the problem is resolved. I hope it doesn't repeat, but I suppose that's wishful thinking. Thanks again for your expert advice.