New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

Door lock problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 09:58 AM
Default Door lock problem

I have a 2003 CLk 500 with 64,000 miles on it .

Upon unlocking the vehicle to enter it as i normally do by pressing the unlock and pulling the handle .

The Electric mechanism that locks and unlocks the door is rapidly opening and closing in a 3 to 5 sec span . Sounds like a machine gun while the "pop" manual goes in and out .

Its only acting up on the Drivers side .

Has anyone had this isssue ? is it a glitch in the wiring or programming ?

Can the Unit be replaces without Computer programming and or synchronization .

My fear is that its probably simple but The dealer will look to make a federal case from it based on my experiences from the past .

Any input valuable input would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks Jimmy

Old 05-03-2009, 10:18 AM

yes it needs a new lock mechanism and no programming is necessary but its a bitch to replace. its tough to remove and to get out of the door. you need a lock actuator. you need to remove the outter door handle and possibly the window rail inside the door.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:10 AM

Okay Great , Thats what I was looking for . It seems replacing some components requires two types of computer programming like the dual heating control . A valet attendant damaged the LCD and I went to replace the unit myself and was told that additional synchronization with an ecu was required and the days of the "do it yourself" are over . Everything is programming .

I will get an estimate from the dealer hopefully it wont be too bad but I expect a nice kick in the *** .

At the moment its semi working so I can deal with it but I dislike thing when they dont work properly and when you leave them it just accumulates .

Thank you for your input , it is greatly appreciated . I will ll post the outcome .

Jimmy

Old 05-14-2009, 11:36 AM
Default Repaired

I looked it up on the Repair manual CD and found that it looked like some job . I took a chance bringing it to the dealer .

I was told that they have to replace the actuator first in order to identify a second possibility .

So the part Mercedes of Huntington charged me 170 dollars where Silver star would have sold me the part for 130 dollars . The labor was 2.8 hrs .

Long story short , They replaced the actuator . I only needed the original Idea so It cost me just shy of 600 dollars for the repair .

On a another positive note , I had the Privilege of using a Loaner car an Ml for about 4 days at my convenience . Had I used a Mechanic friend , It probably would have saved maybe 100 dollars , I would have needed a ride home from the auto garage and would have ben without a vehicle . So it may have been a nice chunk of change but the loaner balances it out .

Thank you for your original thought .

Jimmy