New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 03:03 AM
Default Diesel

I haven't yet looked into that original item that was first mentioned as there are better deals out there privately and I expect that dealer is going to hard to grind to get down to the private market advertised prices, I'm expecting that fuel economy is going to be a little less with an automatic and for around town I kind of prefer an auto and most of the ones I see available seem to be autos, I noticed a few mentions of the characteristics of MB autos in a few forums and am not deterered by them. I'm not that familiar with all the different model numbers to know which ones are even available with a stick. This week I'll be looking into a number of cars I've seen advertised in the paper. and if a good deal has a stick so be it ( and passes the clutch slip test ) Thanks again for the inputs !

Old 02-15-2004, 03:15 PM
Default Diesel

I just took an 84 300d SW for a drive in a large underground, As you all were saying slow, though better if starting in 1st as opposed to drive and good enough when moving. A concern was a lot of oil ? on the body above the driveshaft but none on the diff. Could be normal oil leakage around the engine but couldn't crawl under enough to to see the source of the rear oil. The car has 350,000KM, 218k mi. and what looks like a little blowby apparent on the engine, a few puffs of black smoke when the owner fired it up and revved it a few times. It needs rear shocks (looks like standard style on the front) and the dash lights, (speedo) didn't work, the drivers seat was rough also and these cars and the 190's are a little difficult for me to get into (6'1" size 11's) with all the options no tilt ? Surprisingly quiet and smooth. This car worth pursuing ? I'll be considering the minimal rust also starting when and if making an offer a lot lower than the $4500 asking.