New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 02:34 AM
Default Diesel

New to this forum, I'm yet to be an MB owner but have been looking at a few models and would like to get some input as to fuel consumption figures. I'm looking at a late 70's (78?) 300TD thats supposed to be hard starting and runs rough til warm ? 2K cdn$ off the lot all taxes in. It's a little rough with rust and lousy tires and could probably be bought for 1.5 all in or less ? I have a little experience working around heavy equipment so I have an idea what to look for as far as running problems. What kind of fuel consumption does this model get in good running order for mostly in town driving ? I'm seeing more of these older 300D's than any others cheap. The other model is an 84 190D (140D?) in good condition for around 5K nicely optioned and I'm under the impression this model is a 4 cyl. and gets about 40 mpg (U.S.) Thanks for any inputs on these models or other suggestions

Old 01-22-2004, 04:06 PM
Default Diesel

Hi Rob,</P>

Mostly around town driving? Hmmm...I'll hedge a little on that one, but I would expect highway MPG to be around 30. Mostly around town....maybe...if you don't jackrabbit start (don't worry, it won't do it anyway!!!) possible around 20 MPG.</P>

I love the diesels, but having moved to North Carolina, cold starting isn't the problem it was when I was living in the snow belt just south of Buffalo. Diesels can be a bugger in Canadian winter, however if the glow plug system is working right, they WILL start, and run rough until they get thoroughly warmed up...it's the diesel's nature...live with it and love it. If the hard start and rough running happens in warm weather, it's probably that glow plugs aren't working, and/or low engine compression. I think, with your concerns, I would ask if I could take it to my mechanic for a compression check. That will tell you a lot. </P>

Yeah, it's hard to find an older body in the north that hasn't rusted out door bottoms and inner fenders. I was lucky in finding a '78 in the Carolinas with NO rust! It's a 240D, and gutless....but I LOVE it!!! Good luck...</P>

</P>

</P>

Old 01-22-2004, 07:07 PM
Default Diesel

Thanks, upon review of the dealers ad it's a 80 300TD and I might go back and get him to start it as he has it advertised as having only 200000Km and running good, I'm unemployed right now so I'll be shopping around. Any more inputs on MPG figures (U.S. or Imp.) for various models in this year and expected price range. We're metric here in Canada but I still convert to imperial for milage figures - U.S. gal is 3.8 L and Imp. is 4.5 L. Are the turbo's better for fuel consumption than the non's ?

Old 01-22-2004, 10:31 PM
Default Diesel

Rob,</P>

The questions you ask don't have black &amp; white answers! If you're already familiar with diesels and equipment operation, you know that the purpose of the turbocharger is to force more air into the cylinder in order to make a bigger bang. For the turbo on these engines to produce any <U>significant </U>amount of "boost" you need at least 1700-1800 RPMs. So, at highway speeds, you would be getting maximum "boost" from the turbo, and more power from the engine, and probably better fuel economy than a comparable naturally aspirated engine. BUT, you say your driving is "mostly" around town. My hunch is that you'll get no benefit from having the turbo, as you'll probably rarely rev the engine up enough to get any "boost". </P>

Having said all of that, I think turbocharging is great and maximizes the amount of horsepower you can get out of a small, lightweight engine. Would I spend an extra penny to buy one for city driving?...Nyet!!! But, if you do mostly, or even half highway driving....go for the turbo. It's the most bang for the engine size. Oh yeah, and if the turbo comes apart (it spins at a million miles an hour!!!) all the little pieces are sucked into the engine, and it becomes a 300 pound boat anchor. </P>

Now, ask me why I prefer brunettes over blondes and redheads...</P>

</P>

Old 01-22-2004, 10:57 PM
Default Diesel

The extra moving parts of a turbo were a little concern especially in an old car in terms of extra possible future maintenance or repairs. though not knowing much about these cars had expected some kind of significant performance difference between the differently aspirated models, Anybody got milage figures and preferences. Also I have lots of tools and am not afraid to get bloody and dirty. I also normally drive a Vette and expect I'll be trying to coax as much out of whatever I get as I can. Thanks again for the inputs !

Old 01-23-2004, 01:35 AM
Default Diesel

Okay Rob,</P>

I think you're barking up the wrong tree. Is your Vette standard or automatic? Is the '80 300TD standard or automatic? If you're into performance, and you buy a 300 TD, you oughta have a standard transmission, and I suspect the only good standard for you would be one made for the German market. So...you go ahead and buy the 300 TD? Want more performance....hmmmm...okay, we can put a higher CFM turbo on it, and intercool it, and put custom headers on it with less turbulence and restriction and, of course a much less restrictive exhaust system...well, that's about $4000 US, and....guess what? It's still a gutless pig!!! If you want performance, buy some of the neat old gas-powered MBs, because they'll make black marks on the pavement. That '80 300 TD won't even skid the tires with the brakes on! It will run forever, and hug the road, and it's a comfortable, safe, economical car. You won't get any women with it...better go look for a Porsche Turbo Carrera? I think the Mini Cooper out-accellerates the 300 TD....am I right folks?</P>

Old 01-23-2004, 07:38 AM
Default Diesel

Actually I was thinking more along the lines of I'd be having my foot in it to often trying to get as much out of it as I can till I get used to it's limitations. I also have a Suburu Justy 4x4 thats getting a little wore out but expect it would be faster than any Merc D. My motivation to going to a diesel is for economy and experimentation with vegetable oil. Diesel is a cheaper fuel and I've talked to a few people that have been using Bio diesel with no problems with limited modifications and in one case none ! I might even do the home refining thing to make proper fuel. With the fuel milage figures I've received so far these cars seem to use almost the same a little more than my Justy driving it hard, and my Vette almost gets the same milage on the hwy as it, but burns a lot more around town. If I realy wanted economy I'd go with the VW but I'm tired of not having any room in the car for packing anything. Thank again for the input ! Any more ?

Old 01-24-2004, 12:11 PM
Default Diesel

Rob,</P>

Have you test driven this 300TD yet?? You can tell within the first 1/2 mile whether it's for you or not. It is hard for me to imagine someone owning a corvette and enjoying a 300TD!! I just bought my first MBdiesel a few weeks ago and love it, but then my other car is a Miata so I am not into speed!!</P>

</P>

Sukie</P>

Old 01-26-2004, 01:01 AM
Default Diesel

From the looks of it it seems that everyone thinks these cars a absolute slugs, turboed or not. They seem to keep up with the traffic when I see them and thats enough, You want to talk about slow, try driving a Volvo A25 articulated dumptruck or a fully loaded off road logging truck, My main concern again is inputs as to the kinds of fuel consumption of the various models users are experiencing and these are the factors I'll be using to make my decision to buy one or not. Thanks again !

Old 01-26-2004, 01:27 AM
Default Diesel

Okay Ron,</P>

I didn't want you to get the wrong idea THEN, nor do I NOW. I LOVE my 240D. My first truck driving job was hauling a tri-axle milk tank behind a 238 Detroit Diesel with a 5+4 transmissions in the hills of Pennsylvania. You think the J.B. Hunt trucks are slow? That sucker even smelled a hill, and you had to drop two ranges in the auxilliary! (I hauled some logs, too, but that was with a two bunk trailer behind a 425 CAT...some different kinda animal!) </P>

I only wanted to make sure that the owner of a Vette didn't expect anything resembling that kind of "snap". You have your eyes wide open. I think you are probably looking at one of the very best engines in the world into which to feed your homegrown fuel. Do as I suggested; see if you can drive it, and have somebody do a compression check....it's cheap...and loaded with good information. I'm sure you'll get 30 MPG (US "G") on bio. Probably better on the highway. You never told me if it's standard or automatic? </P>

</P>

</P>

Quick Reply: Diesel