New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

cup holders and pedal extensions

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 10:16 AM
Default cup holders and pedal extensions

We just ordered a E350 Avante garde Sports pack (Australian version) and were wondering if anyone has seen or used any after-market or factory cupholders for the front (shame MB!) Also, my wife is vertically challenged at 5ft 1 and has trouble reaching the brake and accelerator pedals without bringing the seat forward so far it is a health risk. The dealer has advised that MB cannot help here (double shame MB - supposedly such a safe car with all the bells and whistles, yet forces shorter drivers to drive with the brake pedal virtually out of reach) We were wondering if any other owners had faced this problem. Even Ford Australia offers a simple power adjusted pedal unit for its basic Falcon range for around $350!

Old 12-03-2005, 11:03 AM
Default RE: cup holders and pedal extensions

Apparently drinking anything and driving is illegal in Germany--so claims one of the members here.

I've seen some aftermarket cupholders, but they're ridiculously expensive--some are hundreds of dollars. Just a injection-molded piece of cheesy plastic that fits into the console on my SL where cassette tapes used to go sells for over $100 USD. I went to an auto parts store and got a generic one for <$5.00 and stuck it on my console. It looks "okay."

That's strange about the pedals. I agree that M-B fell down on this one for an E-class. You can get extenders that bolt onto the pedals that will help your wife. My 4'11" mother used them in her car. But they will cause issues for you, unless you have arms like an ape's.

Just a thought, but you could try searching for accessories for handicapped drivers. Maybe there's something that your wife can use that will "fold away" when you use it?

Old 12-05-2005, 05:51 AM

17 hour trips to the snowfields requires a constant supply of water bottles. I would think easy access to those bottles would be part of M-B's safety strategy! As to the pedal extenders, we only need a 2" extension which can remain in place. Were your mother's extenders from M-B or after-market? My wife isn't impressed with the handicapped label! Anyway, a fold-away brake pedal seems a bit risky. Thanks.

Old 12-05-2005, 09:38 AM

The pedal extension was aftermarket. She bought it many years ago, so I can't tell you where to buy one. I would think you could find one in the myriad auto parts stores. You might even try Wal-Mart first. My folks wouldn't spend money unless they thought they were getting a good deal of some sort.

You need to buy a Maybach to get built-in cupholders. I think they also have a fridge in the console.

Old 12-07-2005, 10:59 PM

All new Mercedes in the US come standard with cupholders.. Might be able to get you one from over here..
Where abouts in Aus do you live?

Stewart

Old 12-08-2005, 01:41 AM

All new Mercedes in the US come standard with cupholders.
Are you sure? I thought there were still some without.

Old 12-08-2005, 06:02 AM

Apparently there are MB cup holders for the E-class (see attached photo). Amazing how some dealers know nothing about them here.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9405/ECA787B7A12B4D418B2F0744875CA536.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-08-2005, 11:42 AM

What do you have to do, order a cupholder option when ordering a new car? Sheeesh!

Or, is that an aftermarket one? I can find aftermarket ones for mine, but there was no factory option for one. I think the SLs and SLRs still don't have factory cupholders??? Some other models too, but I'm not sure which ones.

Old 12-08-2005, 07:43 PM

All new Mercedes in the US come standard with cupholders..

Symbolic Sport

Old 12-08-2005, 08:37 PM

No, they are supposedly genuine MB cupholders. The photo is from a CLS which (according to the salesman) shares the same basic console structure with the E-class. Why they are not standard in Australian models defies all logic, considering our heat and temperatures!

Quick Reply: cup holders and pedal extensions