New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

1967 Mercedes 230sl Engine Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 11:54 PM
Default 1967 Mercedes 230sl Engine Trouble

Hello,
I have been working on a '67 230sl that has not been started for 24 years. This car has a mechanical fuel injection system. I replaced the fuel pump and fuel lines and was able to get it running. I drove it for 50 miles and then it started acting up. The engine no longer idles and I have to constantly apply pressure to the gas peddle to keep it from stalling. I rev it to 1000 RPM to keep it from stalling, but when it revs at this RPM, the engine misfires constantly. I am trying to find the root of the problem. I readjusted the gap on the points, which are in good condition, and changed the plugs and wires. I am getting a good electric signal to the cylinders. I pulled the new plugs out and noticed that they had extensive carbon fouling. This lead me to believe that I am burning too rich of a mixture. I am unsure where to precede from here. Any advise would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Old 07-16-2013, 10:14 PM

I adjusted that linkage so that it would run leaner and that was not the issue. I took the plugs out and cleaned them off and put them back in the engine. The engine ran fine for 10 seconds and then started missing again due to the plugs becoming fouled up again. Someone suggested checking to see if the cold start valve was stuck open, but I checked that and the valve is not the issue. It is strange that I was able to drive it for 50 miles (40 of which are highway miles) and then after those 50 miles, it began to show these symptoms. It is almost as if there is a valve stuck open elsewhere, maybe in the fuel injection pump, that is allowing all of this excess fuel to enter the cylinders. Any other ideas as to what could be causing this problem?
Thanks