Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

Steering wheel hub adapter for SLK

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 08:12 AM
Default Steering wheel hub adapter for SLK

For those of you who have attempted to install an aftermarket steering wheel in your R170, you have probably found that there is no hub adapter available specifically for the car. Refusing to be beaten, I found a salesman who claimed to have the correct Momo hub adapter for the SLK. I wasted no time ordering this one-of-a-kind little gem, but received what I expected......the wrong part. I did, however, make it fit with a few alterations here and there.

The adapter shipped to me is Momo part #6004 made for Mercedes W115, W123, W124, W126, W126C, W140 and W201. While the hub fit the splines on the column just fine, the horn button was a different story. Apparently the W1xx cars have a contact plate that touches two contacts in the column for the horn. Ours, however, has a really long ribbon wire coiled up inside a plastic housing that does not allow the hub adapter to seat completely onto the column.

Not to be beaten by an inanimate object, I removed a few plastic protrusions on the ribbon cable housing, made the center hole just big enough to accomodate the Momo adapter, connected the supplied horn wiring and VIOLA, I now have a very racey-looking steering wheel. The circumference of the wheel is a bit smaller allowing more leg-room for a man my size and flows perfectly with the black and silver color scheme I am aiming for. (I tried to snap a few pictures but the humidity is so thick I couldn't get a clear shot.....I'll try again later)

Why replace the steering wheel? Two reasons....First, I think the steering wheel in the 98 model is kinda ugly. Secondly, and most importantly, the last owner had a close encounter with a deer and blew the airbag. (A friend repaired the damage before I bought the car.......I only paid 10k for it.)

An aftermarket steering wheel can happen and its not that tough to do.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5879/A9B315A71C944B89AE5AD04BA1683B41.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-04-2006, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Steering wheel hub adapter for SLK

Nice job with great tips and instruction. Please don't rear end anyboby. Otherwise.. Momo forehead.