Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

I hear a rattle when ......

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 06:38 PM
Default I hear a rattle when ......

I have a 01 slk320 (<20k miles) and I hear a rattle when the automatic shifts from 2-3 the first time after start up (sometimes it will do it the second or third time it shifts up)...... the sound is one that reminds me of a metal plate spinning off balance and shaking. Anyhoo.... does anyone know what it maybe? ....is this yet another "new" issue? or one that is well known? Thanks so much, WW.

Old 11-02-2004, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: I hear a rattle when ......

from torque converter?

Old 11-03-2004, 01:31 PM

That is a thought.... the sound seems to eminate from the back half of the car... I think. It will be going in soon so that is why I am looking ofr insight. Some times the more input one has to the techs the better chance ofthem not "snowing" you. anyhoo... anyone else? Thanks, WW

Old 11-03-2004, 09:18 PM

I HEAR CATALTIC CONVERTORS RATTLE WHEN COLD??

Old 11-04-2004, 12:51 PM

Thank you MB/TECHMAN. That could very well be what it is..... at first (several months ago) I only heard it when the car was "cold" - after warm up it seemed to go away... (at one time I thought it had to do with the direction the car was turning - as I heard it more when turnig to the left - lol) and the weather is now cooler and I hear it more often..... yes I run topless as often as possible and then some. Anyhow..... thanks again. WW

Old 12-16-2004, 02:31 PM

I had the catalytic converter replaced under warranty........ unfortunately it did not stop the "rattle". Muffler? tail pipe? .... ??????????????????????? HELP!!!!!!! WW

Old 12-17-2004, 05:10 AM
Super Moderator

i think it's very difficult to locate the noise just by describing it.

the only way is to hear it and find the source.

Old 01-05-2005, 02:42 PM

Sleepwalker I agree that it is near impossible to fix a sound without hearing it. Even the MB dealer gave it back without a fix..... the real bummer here is that they had the car to "test" drive... that is all that is required. But...... as you may know that is far too much trouble.. and after all its fun to "throw darts" and play "lets guess".... and do not forget that they get paid for warranty work even if it i does not fix things. On the other hand I was hoping that this sound may have been heard by other SLK owners - hoping my issue was not exclusive - and they may have "fixed" it . Oh well......... I have called my dealer and arranged a meeeting to take him for a drive- go figgah - I have to make an apoointment to show them how to test drive for a specific problem. Oh well... better than a stick in the eye. ww.