Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 12:58 AM
Default check engine light

Hello to everyone.
I just bought a 1999 slk 230 in mint condition but 2 days ago started with a problem. When I turn off the engine the " check engine light" keeps on. The next day the light is still on.
When I start the car the light goes off.
Today I took the car to a Benz Service, they hooked up a computer ( I think ) and they told me they didn't know what is causing the problem.
They told me that if it doesn't light with the engine running then it's not a big deal. Probably is a bulb or wire problem. But that's really annoying besides keeping me nervous.
Has anyone experienced this problem? Could it be the gas? I filled it twice with 95 unleaded.
Since I live in Uruguay ( south america ) and there is no more than 15 slk 230 in the country I don't know what to do. Sorry about my english.

Old 11-30-2005, 06:07 AM
Default RE: check engine light

My light is on with ignition on, engine NOT running. When I start engine it goes out. Is this what yours is doing?
This is normal as circuits are tested before starting.

Bazzle

Old 11-30-2005, 09:55 AM
Default RE: check engine light

Thank you for your fast response bazzle.
When I start the engine and I'm driving the car the " check engine light " is off, so that is normal and ok.
But when the car is off, engine NOT running and ignition off ( I took out the keys ) the " check engine light " is on. After hours is still on until I start the engine.
Don't know what to do and don't trust what the Benz service told me. ( " not big deal, don't worry about it" )