Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

V-12 camshaft position sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 07:42 AM
Default V-12 camshaft position sensor

My 1994 SL600 V-12 has an engine running rough / cutting out intermittently. It started occasionally at first, now getting worse; barely made it home last night. The cutout is so sharp that I feel like it is ignition.
An independant shop checked the fault codes, and it came back with

LH2 mass air flow meter voltage incorrect - so I replaced the right air flow meter; no change. I went ahead and replaced the rubber boot between the air flow meter and the throttle, just in case it might be leaking.

03 camshaft position sensor - how reliable are the cam position sensors? could this be the problem? I didn't see any online suppliers of this part, so is it a dealer only item?

Old 09-29-2009, 02:55 PM

An experienced M-B mechanic told me that the cam position sensors are real reliable; that they rarely fail. He told me to check the distributor caps and the coil wires.

My caps and ignition wires were the original 15 year parts. I have new dist. caps on now; and it still misfires. I am waiting on new ignition wires to arrive; will let y'all know what happens when I get the new ignition wires on. My old coil wires do not look good.

I was blown away by how expensive the ignition parts were

Old 11-28-2009, 01:12 PM

Not sure if you figured it out yet, but, I have a 1994 SL600 and have had similar issues. Mine got to the point where it wouldn't run, after setting for a year I finally replaced the engine wiring harness. Took about 45 minutes and after I finished it started right up and has run great ever since. Check the condition of the wiring under the plastic cover that runs down the middle of the engine, mine was cracked and shorting out giving me alot of false codes. Good luck

Old 12-12-2009, 12:34 PM
Unhappy v-12

If you don't find faulty wiring then you probably have the same problem I had with my 95 sl600. A timing adjustment gear on both intake cams has bad seals and lets oil thru to a magnetic ring which shouldn't get wet. The whole intake has to come off and the gears replaced. I found out MB has updated these 6 times obviously because they fail. The ignition wires run beneath the intake so then it would make sense to replace them at this time.My car was just completed a few days ago and it runs like a champ.Now the bad part.
Labor and parts ran me $5000 plus.MB and another repair shop kept saying cam sensors but after replacing the twice we found that timing was the cause of rough running.Sorry for the bad news.