Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

stuck 99 SL 500 antenna in down position

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 12:44 AM
CAK
Default stuck 99 SL 500 antenna in down position

Are there any helpful instructions on how to fix / remove the stuck antenna on a 99 sl 500, mine got stuck in the down position last weekend (now I get real bad reception) and when i turn the radio OFF i can still hear a wining noise as if the antenna motor is still rotating but nothing is moving, antenna is stuck in the down position.
I have checked prices on the antenna for the car and it is +/- $250 parts only for a retractable one, do they make an aftermarket fixed, reasonably priced antenna, that works for the car? and if so any information on where to get and self installation would be really appreciated.
Thanks

Old 10-20-2010, 09:39 AM

From your description, it reads like the drive cable that attaches to the base of the antenna shaft has either broken or come loose from the drive gear inside the antenna motor case. Take a look at these 'how-to' steps, they should work for you.

http://www.antennamastsrus.com/Instructions%20Mast.htm

Bob

Old 10-20-2010, 10:06 PM
CAK

Thanks Bob, great illustrations, would you recommend a web site to buy the antenna mast and or a whole unit for a reasonable price. I might have to buy the stuff first and then try to open up the antenna.
Claude

Old 10-20-2010, 10:33 PM

Claude, since you said you can hear the antenna motor running when you turn the key on/off, I think you only need the antenna w/drive cable. You can get the exact replacement including the black tip, from ebay, or virtually any of the online parts guys, like autohausaz.com.

If when you get the old antenna out, the new drive cable won't feed into the antenna drive gear, then you may have to remove and open the antenna case to determine why the gear doesn't turn.

Bob

Old 10-21-2010, 09:42 AM
CAK

Thanks Bob
Sadly to say that yesterday, I only hear a slight humming noise out of the antenna area, only when i turn the radio off, i dont hear anything when i turn it on, will try to disassemble the mast over the weekend and see what the damage is. and will update the post, thanks again
Claude

Old 10-22-2010, 08:12 AM

Claude, is the engine running when you hear the slight humming or do you just have the key in position 2? Reason...if you're battery is undercharged, the response from the antenna motor will be weak. Try it again with the engine running-

Old 11-02-2010, 09:47 PM
CAK

Bob, Thanks for your helpful replies,
Tried to take out the antenna mast last weekend, but unfortunately all I can do is to dis-assemble the outer nut and the plastic spacer, i cant even get to the inner nut or pull the mast, every time i try to pull up it keeps on returning back to the housing as if the spring is still attached, very disappointing. not sure what to do to remove the mast without going to service which probably will cost a small fortune.
PS, the sound comes from the antenna box when only I shut the radio OFF but no sound when I push on.
Thanks again, and always open for ideas.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:36 PM

Claude, I wish I could have done more on this, but if you're getting no response from the antenna motor when turning the radio on, it would seem possible that you may have an electrical/wiring problem at the antenna box or head unit itself; in addition to or instead of just the antenna cable. I'm over my head here, and if it were my car, I'd be off to an independent auto sound system/alarm installer to have this better diagnosed. I wouldn't go near the MB Dealer with this one, for cost and competence reasons. Good luck