Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

Seriously thinking about an SL500....

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 07:13 PM
Default Seriously thinking about an SL500....

Im tossing betweenan SLand a 750iL. Im looking at 96-99 so I can get the 5sp trans and remain within my desired price range.I have ruled out the 600 based on cost of owner ship, horror storiesand fuel costs (fair weather daily driver). I will be doing my own maintainance and repairs as the nearest MB dealer is in CO.

I read something that I would like some owner based wisdom on before I decide on an SL. I have read about cowl shake and interior that squeeks and rattles over bumps. Is this really an issue on these models? Is ther a workaround for cowl shake (if it is really a problem). Pavement quality around here is less than excellent.

Is the build quality, fit/finish all it is said to be. I have not seen any SL (or 7 series) of this era that I could examine, even the many car lots around here have no examples of these cars.

Thanks for any info on these concerns or any others I dont know about yet.

Tony

Old 03-20-2008, 12:09 AM
Default RE: Seriously thinking about an SL500....

ORIGINAL: cjones

I have read about cowl shake and interior that squeeks and rattles over bumps. Is this really an issue on these models? Is ther a workaround for cowl shake (if it is really a problem).
I view the R129 as a luxury car, and for me it is an issue. I and othersdiscussed it here: http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforu...ad.php?t=42815. Mercedes got enough complaints about it from their customers that they went to softer suspension struts in the mid-90s.

ORIGINAL: cjones

Is the build quality, fit/finish all it is said to be.
I would say yes.