Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

New SL500 Owner from Phoenix

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 03:55 PM
Default New SL500 Owner from Phoenix

I am the proud new owner of a 1997 SL500 Sport. 93k miles in near flawless condition, I'm pretty stoked. My wife totaled her 1998 750IL BMW V12 and this is the result of that accident. She was fine btw.

Total newbie here with regard to Mercedes Benz. I'm more of an American Muscle car guy, like Mustangs, I've had a few.

The BMW was dealer serviced. There is a big difference with regard to Fair Market Value and Agreed Value. Always be sure to get agreed value where possible with your insurance, it can really cost you in a total loss.

Anyway...

I have some questions.

Is changing the oil the same as an American car? Ive heard I need to suck the oil out, cant I just drop the drain plug? What oil would you use??

I dont know all the history on the cars service, its all at the local Mercedes dealer. The guy I bought the 500 from said he didnt keep the papers. Ive called the dealership prior to buying and they said he was excellent with service and I can get a copy of the complete records any time. Of course theyd also like to have my business.

Is it normal for the top releasing and engaging suppose to be so loud? It works perfectly and we tested it about 10 times before buying based on people saying to do it at least 3 times.

Releasing just sounds noisy.

Are the door hinges always so noisy? Ive tried spraying WD40 to see if it quieted things but it hasn't. Any suggestions or do I just need some grease?

Online resource for Parts. Also any good recommendations for mechanics in Phoenix, Arizona?

Any thing you guys can recommend I should be looking into other than the normal maintenance things I'm doing after acquiring an used car.

Attached Thumbnails New SL500 Owner from Phoenix-m3.jpg   New SL500 Owner from Phoenix-m2.jpg   New SL500 Owner from Phoenix-m1.jpg  
Old 05-03-2011, 06:33 PM

Geez you people here put up with this spammer advertising paradise? Cancel my account, my malware and spyware monitors are going insane on my computer over these ads.

Typical money grubbing site. I wont be back.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:57 PM

you dont need to suck the oil out. never heard that one before. its the same procedure as any car.

the roof latches are always loud on that model

the door checks could need replacement or tighten the screws on the door jam or the door. they come loose and make a pop or crack sound. pretty good car. basically only top problems that i can think of. and car will seem to want to pull one way or the other.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:27 AM

Thanks for responding. So far I'm digging this car. I haven't had to take it in yet for anything. Just do a search for "oil change a MB" lots of people buy some machine to suck the oil out, seemed lazy to me!! Oil changes are messy that's just the way it is, but satisfying!

I appreciate the help. This site just has a little to much spyware advertising for me. In my life Ive never paid for a subscription to a message board, I run a few Mustang sites, if I charged my members they would all leave.

I also have a 69 Mach 1 and a 72 Mach 1 and an 06GT.

10k for this Mercedes SL500 was just to sweet to pass up!

Attached Thumbnails New SL500 Owner from Phoenix-m3.jpg   New SL500 Owner from Phoenix-m1.jpg  

Last edited by SL500 Roadster; 05-04-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:48 PM

Man I feel really dumb. I know when you buy American parts it usually dealership first, napa, then all the auto stores, sort of in that order.

With Mercedes Im finding Mercedes Parts VERY EXPENSIVE then I find places like AutoHausAz, and Manufacturers like Boge parts, Westar, DEA, Corteco and a few others. What parts are considered high quality that doesn't come from the dealership or their price tag. Im looking for engine and tranny mounts and the dealer quoted me over 500 USD yet I can find cheaper online. What parts are considered good parts and where do you non rich guys shop for parts when your not buying from the stealership.

I been missing out that's for sure this SL500 is bad to the bone, definitely the nicest car Ive ever owned.

Last edited by SL500 Roadster; 05-06-2011 at 05:15 PM.