Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

Kicks Porsche butt

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 12:32 PM
Default RE: Kicks Porsche butt

I know the ESP will help, but I'm more interested in decreasing understeer to the point where ESP wouldn't be initiated as soon.

ESP may save a car or a life, but it kills performance. I can slow down without ESP and make the turn okay, but the car has an annoying understeer regardless. In other words, I don't want to slow down so much.

Maybe the question is whether I want to back down a cliff or go nose first?

Old 05-04-2006, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

ESP can be turned off also, but i still doubt it can do full performance because of auto transmission.

i always feel they lack something which i needed which older SL can do.

safety,comfort and convenience has improved, yes... performance, the trick belongs to the driver.

i get more faster heartbeat sitting inside the R129 SL600 than R230 SL600. i can't expect what will happen next in R129, but i know how it works on R230.

BMW doesn't got anything near those.

i like SLR most. although i know how the car thinks, it makes me ponder for a while whenever i'm on the driver's seat.

Old 05-05-2006, 12:20 AM

My Corvette has ESP. It makes me look like I know what I'm doing when the car wants to slide. I hate it though. It takes control and slows down the car.

Old 05-05-2006, 12:41 AM
Super Moderator

I like full control of my car. Thats y whenever i drive My moms Magnum or any newer vehicle i turn off all the electronic features like ESP, ASR, and traction control or any other "saftey" or as i call it make a better driver out of a poor driver gizmos.

If u dont know how to drive them hard without help u should not be driving hard.

Old 05-05-2006, 12:47 AM

ESP and ASR weren't designed for use while "driving hard." They aren't racing aids.

Old 05-05-2006, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator

I know that there not racing aids Lugnut.

But how many people hear or read an advertisment that talks about ESP and all the sudden think there car is a race car? I remember in 2000 when i first got the dealers brochure (more like 100 page book) on the W220 it said as a disclaimer "Will not repeal the laws of physics" because they understand that if they dont put that and some one wrecks cause they thought there car was now a race car that they would get sued. I laughed but then thought how sad it was that they need to put that.

Old 05-05-2006, 10:44 AM

I like full control of my car. Thats y whenever i drive My moms Magnum or any newer vehicle i turn off all the electronic features like ESP, ASR, and traction control or any other "saftey" or as i call it make a better driver out of a poor driver gizmos.

If u dont know how to drive them hard without help u should not be driving hard.
Sorry. "Racing" was my word. They weren't designed as "driving hard" aids. Racing or hard driving--semantics. These systems are misunderstood and misused by many, as you pointed out. But, they're for normal driving, not "hard driving."

It makes little sense to turn off all these types of "safety" features unless it's needed. For example, trying to get up an icy slope from a stop, or to do a burnout, or to do some doughnuts, or do some "hard driving." There's nothing effeminate or wimpy about not losing traction or not losing stability due to "help" when you're driving normally and something unexpected happens.

As I said earlier, the saving of a car or a life can surely be attributed to ESP regardless of the driver's ability. ASR not as likely, but ESP I'm sure. ASR if getting the heck out of the way of something, like a 10-wheel dump truck roaring towards you, is ever needed while you're on a gravel road or otherwise low-traction road. Adrenalin can confuse your mind quicker and more profoundly than a baseball bat.

Old 05-05-2006, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

People in America will sue for anything. Like the fat guy suing McDonalds.

Old 05-08-2006, 12:57 AM

Wow, I have truly fallen in love with Mercedes man. What that car? I think SL 65. with like 700 ft/lbs torqe and 600 HP thats just f***ing ridiculousy fast.

Old 05-08-2006, 01:18 AM
Super Moderator

it's R230 SL600.

with the top down and looking from behind... you won't be needing ferrari anymore.

Quick Reply: Kicks Porsche butt