Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

Key/Computer Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 10:31 PM
Default Key/Computer Malfunction

I own a 2003 SL500 with 10,000 miles, it's the wifes car. She gets in it this morning and puts the key in the ignition and the key would not turn. She tried the other key with the same result. When I got home, I checked the battery power in the key fob and it was fine. The battery in the car was fine, both of them. The fuses were all good. I had the Benz guy come by and he checked the same things I did and he was perplexed. He told me he had never experienced this problem and he was going to consult with their Benz Guru at the dealership to see if he had any answers and call me in the morning. It seems to me like the car and the keys are not talking to each other. The car is programed not to allow the key to turn the ignition, unlock the doors or anything else if it doesn't recognize the signal. It seems almost like the computer programming was cleared. Has anyone experienced this or have any theories? Any advice would be appreciated. Just a footnote, the car was last driven on Wednesday with no issues.

Old 06-06-2006, 10:50 PM
Default RE: Key/Computer Malfunction

The only thing you haven't checked out is the key itself. If the key stopped working, even it it had a good battery, then that could be your problem. See if the dealer can program another key.

Old 06-06-2006, 11:19 PM

ORIGINAL: zaphod617

The only thing you haven't checked out is the key itself. If the key stopped working, even it it had a good battery, then that could be your problem. See if the dealer can program another key.
Is it possible for both keys to go bad? I checked them both.

Old 06-09-2006, 07:33 PM

As Dave Mustaine said, "Well self, nice talking to myself, oh credit to dementia." That's what I feel like on this forum. Anyway, for anyone who gives a crap, the Benz guy came back out on Wednesday and let the key sit in the car for a while and she turned and eventually started the car up. Unfortunately, if you take out the key for any extended period of time, it will not turn. Then you have to put it back in, let it sit for about a half hour and then she works again. Well, I give up, she is going in on Monday. If there is anybody out there that has a theory, I'm all ears.

Old 06-09-2006, 09:22 PM

i see eis's go bad all the time thats what it sounds like. take it to the dealer (tow it that is) tell they benz guy that came to your house he is a liar and to quit blowing camp fires up your a$$. cause this happens all the time.