Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

Instrument cluster

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 07:20 PM
Default Instrument cluster

[&:] I have a 2000, SL280 and at the weekend installed some after market reverse parking sensors and although the wiring was a pig to get from the rear to the dash i did it but whilst testing the unit and having the top down i had drained the battery just enough that the roof would not go up, so i did what i thought was quite normal and hooked up the jump leeds and started the engine and hey presto the roof went up. It was then my problems began, the instrument cluster has now a mind of its own,the ilumination of the clocks are not working, the speedo doesn't work, the MPG guage does't work, nor does the fuel guage, i have some warning lights on and i should be roasting at a staggering temp of +38c.
The plus points are that the rev counter, mileometer and clock work.

HELP?

Old 01-29-2007, 07:38 PM
Default RE: Instrument cluster

I put a similar post about 4 months ago, with no good answers. We all the fuses more than once, but everything was fine. I will watch your post. If you find anything out could you email me at bobfoxauto@sbcglobal.net.

Good luck,
Roger

Old 01-30-2007, 02:20 AM
Default RE: Instrument cluster

If the fuses are all good in the main fuse box, then your insrument cluster is damaged. I hope when you jumped the car you didn't do it with another vehicle -- if you did, then you were following correct procedure and this should never have happened.

If you find yourself looking for a repair shop for the cluster, I would post an inquiry over at www.mercedesshop.com and www.benzworld.org.