Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

Hood pad installation instructions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 03:40 PM
Default Hood pad installation instructions.

I just purchased a 1993 500 SL and need the installation instructions for a hood pad. The old one has deteriorated and I want to replace it myself. Can anyone help me?

Jim

Old 01-16-2007, 04:54 PM
Default RE: Hood pad installation instructions.

try alldata. a lot of public libraries have it, or else you can buy an online subscription at www.alldata.com, although i cant say for sure that it will have that procedure.

MB tends to be kind of proprietary with their procedures until you get into way older stuff, but i know you can purchase the service manuals online somewhere.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:35 PM

Jim,
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new to you ride!

This topic has been written about extensively here and you can do a 'search' using the links above just under the banner ad to get exactly what you need.

Bob

Old 01-18-2007, 11:53 PM

I just replaced mine this past weekend. Very easy to do. Go to the MB dealer and buy 14 of those little push pin type clips that hold the pad to the front of the hood. These clips have a center pin that has to be pulled out (and off) before the clips can be removed from the hood. The best tool to do this with is a wire nipper that is big enough to fit over the pin head. Cover the windshield, entire engine, front fenders, grille and bumper with an old sheet. Mask off the large stiffner rib that runs side to side near the rear end of the hood. Then remove the pin clips up front and scrape the pad off the hood with a putty knife. Next apply ONLY 3M #08088 (or the 3M high strength adhesive 08090) spray adhesive (purchase at Advanced Auto) to both the HOOD and the PAD! Allow it to dry for 20 minutes or so. Next place the pad up to the FRONT of the hood ONLY and insert just the bottom half of the clip pins into the holes. First on one side, then the other. This process will center the pad on the hood. Next, push the pad onto the hood a little at a time starting from the front, center of the hood and work your way back and out to the edges. Trim the pad around the 2 the stiffner ribs at the back of the hood, tuck it in at the back and then the right and left edges, push the 14 clips all the way in and insert the center pins into the clips.... TA! DA! all done! Whole process takes about 2 hours and saves $200 in MB labor! Let the adhesive dry for 24 hours like the can says before starting the car. HAVE FUN!

Old 01-19-2007, 01:16 AM

Excellent post 97tripleblk...

Jim, before you get to the fun stuff 97tripleblk outlined, it's suggested that you cover the front end of your car with plastic sheeting; engine, fenders, and pull the sheeting over the fresh air intake ventunder the windshield. Reason is when you remove the old hoodpad, it will crumble and you don't want to clean this stuff up off your engine. Fine particles can get into your fresh air system so make sure it's covered. With plastic scraper, remove any remaing glued hoodpad material so the new glue and pad will adhere evenly. I used 3M glue/decal remover to get the hood taken down prior to glueing. Last, be careful with the 3M spray cement that it does not get on your paint. This job is sooo much easier with 2 people and a about a 6pack. Have fun

Bob