Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

Help - intermittent momentary engine miss

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 03:42 PM
Default Help - intermittent momentary engine miss

I could really use some help with this one. I own a 93 500sl with ~84,000 miles. Last summer and this spring I have noticed a very slight missing that occurs is noticiable at any constant engine RPM or road speed. The missing is very short lived, just feels like a little tug backwards. Most of the time it doesn't even show up on the tach - other times I believe I can catch a fleeting every so slight dip in RPMs. It can occur when the car is hot or when cold. It can occur when the weather is hot or cold. It can occur if the gas tank is full or near empty. It can occur if the car is idling or moving at 90mph. It can occur some days and not at all on other days. It can occur every few seconds or every few minutes. The only things I can tell is that when it occurs, the engine speed is steady (never notice anything during accelration) , and when it occurs it appears the missing seems to be consistent in time from miss to miss although that miss interval may be different different days. Any ideas? If it had any dependence on RPM, temp, car speed, gear, tank level, etc it would be easier to diagnose. Seems to irregular to be fuel filter, injector, fuel tank pressure, fule distributor, etc....... I worry about impending failure of some component but don't have an idea of where to start.

Thanks,

Todd

Old 05-28-2008, 12:11 AM
Default RE: Help - intermittent momentary engine miss

do you have any service records showing thatthe spark plugs,plug wires, distributor cap,and rotorbeen changed since new? If you change out the plugs make sure to use Bosch, don't put in cheap.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:25 AM

Hi,

I'm a new member and have just seen this posting.

I've got exactly the same problem that you describe in my '96 SL500. Very rare, unpredictableand only at constant revs - occaissionally mine even cuts out (re-starts fine). Other than this, the car runs fantastically.

Can you please let me know ifyou ever found a solution to your problem please ? I've got new Bosch plugs and the leads seem all fine.

Thanks & regards,

Gareth.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:50 PM

I have a 98 SL 500 (don't know if things are the same on your 93 or 96) and it was doing the same thing ... ended up being the Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF) ... I had it replaced and it runs fine again. In some cases you can get away with just cleaning them but mine was in bad shape.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:46 AM

My 74 450SL does this, sounds identical. Found no pulse to the injectors. Have in garage now. The distributor has points for powering the injectors 2 stokes before the spark which I suspect. Called trigger points and are $588.Let me know please if you solve your prob. I'll let you know what I find on mine.