Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

Got raped by a SL600, Need some info

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 07:33 AM
Default RE: Got raped by a SL600, Need some info

ORIGINAL: chassis221

heres a pic of an SL 65 motor from the top. im not sure if you can see the pic. i never posted a pic on here before.
This is a great engine - well the car also The AMG 65 engine has 612 ps and737 ft/lbf as stock settings. Only with a new software flash we get 695 ps and 841 ft/lbf.
I hit224 mph (speedo...)on the German Autobahn with this one... cool [8D]

Old 03-15-2007, 12:01 PM

I did months of research before I bought my sl600. Found some interesting info. When MB started with the V12 TT for the sl600 they produced more power than they bargained for. Financially, they had to tweak their data or it would cost them. When testing the car found that it not only outperformed the sl55 but was neck and neck with the sl65. It even has 60 mph comparable to the SLR. Now to avoid this they quoted power/speed numbers about equal with the sl55.

I am a big sportscar enthusiast. I started with porsche, have a 05 sl500, 04 porsche 996tt. After researching and driving the sl55, sl65, sl600's, I bought a black sl600 and traded in my 04 porsche 996tt. The stock tire Mercedes puts on these do not do them justice. I could set off the esp at 60mph and putting the throttle to the floor. Now after going through many sets of tires on my porsche to find the ones I liked I liked Toyo proxes the best. I upgraded to 20" Lorinser wheels and Toyo Proxes T1R's. OMG was there a difference. No tire spin now.... I am completely hooked up anytie I give full throttle (except in the rain and around corners LOL).

Now the fun stuff. I have raced just about anything on the road you can imagine. NEVER LOST. I could never say that about the porsche tt.

As far as your camaro, I bet the the sl600 was going light on you if you only lost by 4 car length. I have actually beat some sportbikes in mine on the highway.

Here is a recent list of cars that y sl600 has "raped"

05 Bentley GT turbo- no competition
06 corvette Z06 (this one is owned by a friend of mine)
Every mustang/camaro you can imagine including a supercharged cobra with mods to increase boost to 21.
Jaguar xkr.
07 Porsche GT3

Smile your car could be next.
Just kidding.

I could not even imagine what this would do with a chip mod and tuning.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:13 PM

ORIGINAL: ERDocSLx2
...... A lot

Old 03-15-2007, 12:46 PM

ORIGINAL: ERDocSLx2

I did months of research before I bought my sl600. Found some interesting info. When MB started with the V12 TT for the sl600 they produced more power than they bargained for. Financially, they had to tweak their data or it would cost them. When testing the car found that it not only outperformed the sl55 but was neck and neck with the sl65. It even has 60 mph comparable to the SLR. Now to avoid this they quoted power/speed numbers about equal with the sl55.

I am a big sportscar enthusiast. I started with porsche, have a 05 sl500, 04 porsche 996tt. After researching and driving the sl55, sl65, sl600's, I bought a black sl600 and traded in my 04 porsche 996tt. The stock tire Mercedes puts on these do not do them justice. I could set off the esp at 60mph and putting the throttle to the floor. Now after going through many sets of tires on my porsche to find the ones I liked I liked Toyo proxes the best. I upgraded to 20" Lorinser wheels and Toyo Proxes T1R's. OMG was there a difference. No tire spin now.... I am completely hooked up anytie I give full throttle (except in the rain and around corners LOL).

Now the fun stuff. I have raced just about anything on the road you can imagine. NEVER LOST. I could never say that about the porsche tt.

As far as your camaro, I bet the the sl600 was going light on you if you only lost by 4 car length. I have actually beat some sportbikes in mine on the highway.

Here is a recent list of cars that y sl600 has "raped"

05 Bentley GT turbo- no competition
06 corvette Z06 (this one is owned by a friend of mine)
Every mustang/camaro you can imagine including a supercharged cobra with mods to increase boost to 21.
Jaguar xkr.
07 Porsche GT3

Smile your car could be next.
Just kidding.

Good Lord that's impressive! Well I would definately run you, I just ordered a Pro Charger DS1-C blower for mine and talked with my tuner at Intune Motorsports about building me a Forged LS7 427ci motor. The new set-up should be good for 600-700 RWHP on 12 pounds of boost. Instead of buying a new corvette or something similar as I had originally planned I decided to see what I could make this
Z-28 do. I'll do my best to get some pics up of my car, it's nothing compared to your SL 600 but I enjoy driving it.As far as tires it's hard for me to find the right size and brand to fit my camaro, I'm running 17x11 inch wheels with 315/35 R17 BFG Drag's out back with hardly no traction. This is with just a cammed, headed and sprayed 346ci LS1 too.

One things for sure you don't see many hot Mercedes out here, there are plenty of Porches, mostly Boxsters or Carrera's which aren't any competition. Man throw some mods of that car and see what it can do, I bet it's scary fast to outrun a C6 ZO6. Those vette's are insanely fast stock so for you to smoke one, well, my hats off to you! Do they make any kind of aftermarket exhaust for your car? If so I bet that thing would sound awesome. I have Stainless Long Tube Headers, Off Road Y-Pipe, Hooker Aerochamber 3" catback with an electric cut out, basically my car is really raspy and loud so I wasn't able to hear the guy I was racing.

Thanks for all the replies, it's good to talk to fellow car enthusiasts no matter what type of car you own!