Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

'94 remote problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 01:46 PM
Default '94 remote problem

Currently have a 1994 with a driver's side remote problem. The receiver on the drivers doormay be bad. I can lock and unlock the car with the key without problem and with the green/red lights showing the respective operation. I can lock and unlock the car with the remote from both truck and passenger door--no physical key required. Hence, my problem with the sensor on the driver's side. Any suggestions of what to do? I know I could go to the dealer but they frustrate me and my blood pressure medication is not up to speed for that act. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:40 AM
Default RE: '94 remote problem

i would replace the driverside door IR (if the key works in the door and you are getting signal confirmation via the rear view mirror then opticly the ir receiver is bad its a simple but costly fix
go to dealer order the ir receiver for the driver side door then when ready to install take a long 4mm allen (the longer the better ) move away the door weather stripping there should either be a small hole or a black ruber grommet (remove look through with flash light ) you should see a allen head install the allen in hole till catch the bolt head insert metal blade key into driverside door lock cylinder . then unscrew the allen (BE CAREFULL NOT TO BACK OUT ALL THE WAY !! if you drop the screw the door panel is comming offf with other parts as well to reinstall that thing so my advice have 2 people one hole the key and you with the allen . now back out the allen and keep pressure pushing into the allen bolt to keep it in its slot. the person with the key turn part way to the right just enough so the key dont come out and with other hand around reset of the tumbler wiggle up/down and pull out (dont force it so the blade key breaks that will get expensive) once out let hange by conn. and you screw in the allen so not to loose it and leave the allen key in place so the screw dont fall out. unplug the receiver and install the new one same way you took it out (hint: if the new receiver wont sit flush and sticks out alittle pull the grab handle open just keep pressure going towards the front lt wheel and out this weill allow the receiver to pop all the way in . tighten the allen and your done test the lock via remote and blade key make sure its in right
this job take no time at all unless you drop that screw !!!!!!!

Old 01-26-2007, 12:27 AM
Default RE: '94 remote problem

Thank you for your advice and detailed instructions. I shall read your instructions a couple dozen times and attempt. Thanks again.