Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

2000 SL600 soft top stuck half way

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 10:59 PM
Default 2000 SL600 soft top stuck half way

I have a 2000 SL600. The soft top is stuck half way up. The front part of the top is locked to the windshield top. The rear portion of the top is not latched down. The top raise lower switch is illuminated (when the engine is running). When I push the switch either way it blinks slowly ~ once/sec and nothing moves, nothing heard.

Windows work fine - resynced 'em that didn't help. Roll bar is down. Roll bar doesn't move when activating the roll bar switch.

I tried resetting things by disconnecting the battery and disconnecting cables from the controller (or what I believe to be the controller - behind passenger seat in that compartment). This had no effect.

It entered this state when I was raising the top in my driveway and I erroneously inched forward a couple of feet while it was raising, or rather after the front part latched but the rear part had not. At that point the top stopped moving and hasn't moved since.

I had this happen once before when it was new. The dealer sent a mechanic out and I think all he did was stick a screwdriver into the holes where the rear part of the top latches in - and he did something with the screwdriver - unlocking or flipping something and that fixed it. Of course I've tried poking around looking for anything that will latch or unlatch to no avail.

Any clues appreciated. Thanks, Mike

Old 01-31-2007, 09:24 PM
Default RE: 2000 SL600 soft top stuck half way

I'm happy to report I got it working.

I had my brother hold the top up/down switch in the down position while I was poking at the latch mechanism just trying to get a reaction from it. To get room to work I raised the rear part of the top. Once I pushed it all the way up, about 90 degrees - it apparently touched a sensor or something and it came to life! Now it's working again.

I've spent a few hours looking on the various MB forums and haven't heard mention of this so this is a good one to note and pass around. I will certainly print it and frame it and hang it on the wall in the garage!

Thanks.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:16 PM
Default RE: 2000 SL600 soft top stuck half way

I had this problem on my 1999 SL500, a mercedes mechanic suggested that with the ignition on I depress both window switches at the same time so the windows go down, then repeat so both windows go up. That succesfully reset the system and I was able to lowere and raise the top without further problems.