Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

2 cents about console (sliders) compartment repairs

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 07:35 PM
Default 2 cents about console (sliders) compartment repairs

I have had problems with the plastic pieces in the consoles breaking off the sliding leather covers-those simple plastic rivets do not really do the job over time. I have been told that these have to be replaced and are not repairable. I am conveying the following to those who cannot take no for an answer about repairing these products.

I tried double sided tape, basic glues, and a host of other methods of connecting the plastic slider to the leather covers. Bottom line is that most glues and/or other bonding materials stick well to one of the materials, usually the plastic, but release from the other. Here is my final conclusion which I have found to work. First, the leather part has to be clean and the you, of course, must have the plastic slider. Second, use J-B Weld as the key ingredient to connect same. Be clean about the application because JB is tough to get off once on. Third, use some type of compession device to hold them together during the bonding--I used those binder clips to hold same together. Finally, be patient and wait at least 6 hours for the JB to harden. Remember, this must be done in the car with the pieces in place.

Okay, this all seems simple but let me tell you, JB is one of the few bonding materials that sticks well to both the plastic and leather. I have repaired both of my sliders and they work GREAT--no sticking and no separating. Those little plastic melted connections are no match for JB Weld.

I hope this helps someone out there. sbeemish