Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

07 SL550 Am I being ripped off? See final feedback.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 11:58 PM
Default 07 SL550 Am I being ripped off? See final feedback.

OK, here are the facts, just the facts (giving up my age, right?)
Bought a 2007 SL550 anniversary edition.
At 400 miles, a coolant relief hose - small one running to/from overflow tank sprung a leak...looks like damaged hose.
I called dealer, descibed problem, he overnighted replacement hose to dealership.
I wrapped electricians tape over cut hose, stemed leak to a trickle.
Bought a gallon of anit-freeze at gas station (clearly stated it was OK for ALL engines, including aluminum), and topped it up.
Drove to dealer, he replaced hose, cleaned up engine compartment, and I went home.
At 800 miles, I got two warning lights in dash...collant low, top it up, and windshield washer fluid low, top it up.
I topped both up, but still had the warning messages, so took it back to the dealer.
He determined that the coolant sensor, which monitors both fluids was bad, had to order, I need to go back.
HOWEVER, he asked me what color coolant I put in when I had the broken hose...green or blue??
I said green, he took a deep breath, and said it should have been blue....
While he did say he would fight for me, he suggested that they would have to flush and replace the coolant, and then
CHARGE ME $125 FOR THIS!!!
So, do I meekly walk in and say fine, here's my credit card, or do I have a leg to stand on???
Thanks for your advice, expert or not!

OK FINAL FEEDBACK REPORT!
I talked to the "Customer Relations" lady at the dealership, explained the facts as above, and suggested she review this with the customer service manager. She obviously did so, and I received a phone message from the service manager yesterday that I should bring the car in to replace the faulty sensor, and they would flush and refill with coolant at NO CHARGE.
To those of you that suggested I meet with the salesman and service manager together, I did not buy the car at this dealership. Also, the Customer Relations lady had called and left a follow up message from my last visit, just to make sure everything was to my satisfaction, so she was the obvious person to go back to with my concerns. So I go into the holidays in a much better mood. Thanks to all who posted.

Old 12-01-2006, 01:28 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 07 SL550 Am I being ripped off?

they would have to flush and replace the coolant, and then
Do it yourself for $18 with Prestone 50/50 coolant. Disconnect the bottom hose connecting into the radiator. Let all the old coolant out into an oil pan. Disconnect the upper hose near the engine while the bottom is still disconnected flowing into the oil pan. Grab the garden hose or distilled water (anything pure) and pour it into the upper radiator hose for a minute or so. This will flush the green stuff in the radiator. Next, where the upper hose was pulled from the engine, pour some pure water into that engine opening. Reconnect both hoses and refill with coolant. Monitor coolant levels and temperature gauge for a week.

I'm by no means an expert, it's really not hard at all. Just disconnecting 2 hoses, flushing the radiator & engine with water, then reconnecting. Finally, refilling with the blue stuff this time (coolant) lol

Old 12-01-2006, 01:31 AM
Super Moderator

And didn't you spend almost a 100 grand for your car? $100 should be a walk in the park, but I'm glad I'm not the only person who would rather not bust out the card.

Old 12-01-2006, 01:49 AM

Callawassie,

IMO, this is one where everybody probably should step back, take a breath and start over.

A new mega car like yours shouldn't have all these problems to begin with, nor should you be put in the position of making a quasi-emergency decision about anti-freeze formulas while watching your new car gush coolant. It was wrong of the dealer not to better prep the car before you picked it up, just as I think it was wrong not to ask the service advisor when you called in originally 'what should I top off the anti freeze with?' All these 'wrongs' can't add up to a 'right'.

All this said, if it were me, I'd go back to the sales guy, have him set up an appt. with the Service Manager and the 3 of you politely talk about how your situation can be accomodated. As long as your car is under warranty, you WANT a good relationship with Service. Approaching this matter the wrong way can potentially hurt you and that magnificent new car of yours. Paybacks from Service guys can be brutal. Just approach it like a pro and you'll be fine.

Bob

Old 12-01-2006, 01:08 PM

ORIGINAL: AMGMercedes

And didn't you spend almost a 100 grand for your car? $100 should be a walk in the park, but I'm glad I'm not the only person who would rather not bust out the card.
I don't think how much you spend on a car should matter. The issue is principle. When the hose broke, what should he have done? If water was added, the dealer could argue the mixture isn't the 50-50 required for optimal performance and charged him the $100 for a flush and fill as well. This is actually very petty of the dealer. If the dealer wanted to build a good rapport with a customer (who just purchased a new vehicle from them) they should have just taken care of it. After all, this was all caused by a faulty part in a new car. I agree about the meeting. Talk it over calmly and the dealer should should see the logic and just take care of the issue under warranty.

Old 12-08-2006, 08:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Callawassie

OK, here are the facts, just the facts (giving up my age, right?)
Bought a 2007 SL550 anniversary edition.
At 400 miles, a coolant relief hose - small one running to/from overflow tank sprung a leak...

he suggested that they would have to flush and replace the coolant, and then
So, do I meekly walk in and say fine, here's my credit card, or do I have a leg to stand on???
Thanks for your advice, expert or not!
May I suggest that you utilize the following as a first line of defense in the future.

When you own a Mercedes-Benz, the answer is simple: don't worry. Roadside Assistance Program includes a free service called Sign and Drive, all free of charge.

Sign and Drive 1-800-367-6372
http://www.mbusa.com/care/client-car...-assistance.do

Old 12-13-2006, 02:09 AM

1/ a guy that buys a 100K car isn't going to change his own antifreeze.
2/ typical of mb dealers that have the attitude (there can't be anything wrong with the car; it must be the driver)...Pretty typical of the attitude of Don Rasmussen in Portland