Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

wowwowoeeeeeowowowo

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 04:02 AM
Default wowwowoeeeeeowowowo

Look What i found....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujzku...rch=top%20gear

I hate it ...the euro version has a TV....

Lemon

Old 07-03-2006, 04:08 AM
Default RE: wowwowoeeeeeowowowo

Why dont we get the dvd???? Bastards!!!and no fridge in the back..also...dang...

urg
Lemon....

Old 07-04-2006, 02:06 AM

Great video. We don't get the DVD for the same reason it took 7 years for us to get ABS, rear head rests, etc. The European makers give us the table scraps, they treat us like a red headed stepchild despite being thier largest single market. It makes you wonder how MBUSA got so powerless to demand all the Euro features for us.

Old 07-04-2006, 02:20 AM

The dealers were saying to me..that its for safety reasons...you know the 750il ..has a monitor for the kids in the back at the least...I paid 126k out the door..and i dont get a dvd....hell my honda oddysey at least has a dvd....go figure....I wonder if you can add that radar thing ....to stop...that is only for premium 3 package...thats the only thing missing in my ride...hell, at least i got the night vision...and that was a pain to look for...6 dealers worth.

urg
Lemon

Old 07-04-2006, 11:07 AM

Dealers are idiots, I guess they don't have safety in Europe (major pioneers in safety development). What they don't have are ridiculous product liability laws along with 5% of the world's population and 50% of the world's lawyers .

When the 3 series did not have rear head restraints in the US, the dealer said that it blocked the view to the rear. There was no answer when I asked why the Euro model had them, the Europeans must have tiny heads, additionally if someone were sitting back there thier head would block the view to the rear, perhaps they should not have a back seat to allow the best view, again no response. Today of course the 3 has the rear head restraints. My brother is a spine surgeon and I can assure you that rear head restraints can make a huge difference in a rear ender. As I said earlier, we get many Euro features years after they are introduced in Europe first, Keyless Go is another example.

I had a 1970 300SEL 6.3 Euro model. It had rear head restraints and rear shoulder belts not available on US models for many years. In fact it was the 1974 450SEL first US MB with rear shoulder belts and 1986 300E that was first MB in the US with rear head restraints, (the limited production 6.9 had them in the late 70s but not the 450SEL). My 6.3 also had rear child safety locks way ahead of federal regulations !!!

$126K? What ever happened to $90K which is what I thought they cost (I know taxes will add to that). One would think with such a high price there should be NO OPTIONS. I know, fantasy land, even the $175K Bentley is not fully equipped and does not have a rear camera, not even as an option nor does the QPorte. All of these "packages" that seem appropriate on a $22K Pontiac G6 somehow seem as if they should already come on cars at $80K+. As I understand it, there are no options on an XLR, sounds good unless GM forgot to include things like a rear camera or a 20 GiG HD. If these things were not on the car it would be nice to have them as a factory option. I have come full circle in my argument, I just can't be satisfied.

Old 07-04-2006, 05:04 PM

Heheh you and me both! I was kinda shock too and the out of the dealer cost...AMG (not the real amg deal, rims and body kit) package alone was, if i remember right , was 5300 bucks...night vision...seat massage..that thing that levels your car at turns, night vision, that huge sun roof, the sticker came to 106K...o well..

I like how it rides...ok i can let go of the dvd...but the rev limiter at 130 mph kills me....my old e300 has higher top speed...go figure.....o well...

Lemon

Old 07-04-2006, 10:22 PM

good vid.

Old 07-05-2006, 02:41 PM

Yeah lemon, I had my 87 300E up to 135 and punked out, it had more left. The 130 limiter is thanks to the lawyers again. Same reason Audi eliminated the ASB off switch about 15 years ago. They and subsequent others showed on some surfaces like snow (not ice) and dirt that cars stopped shorter without ABS

Old 07-05-2006, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: II Kings 9:20

Dealers are idiots, I guess they don't have safety in Europe (major pioneers in safety development). What they don't have are ridiculous product liability laws along with 5% of the world's population and 50% of the world's lawyers .

When the 3 series did not have rear head restraints in the US, the dealer said that it blocked the view to the rear. There was no answer when I asked why the Euro model had them, the Europeans must have tiny heads, additionally if someone were sitting back there thier head would block the view to the rear, perhaps they should not have a back seat to allow the best view, again no response. Today of course the 3 has the rear head restraints. My brother is a spine surgeon and I can assure you that rear head restraints can make a huge difference in a rear ender. As I said earlier, we get many Euro features years after they are introduced in Europe first, Keyless Go is another example.

I had a 1970 300SEL 6.3 Euro model. It had rear head restraints and rear shoulder belts not available on US models for many years. In fact it was the 1974 450SEL first US MB with rear shoulder belts and 1986 300E that was first MB in the US with rear head restraints, (the limited production 6.9 had them in the late 70s but not the 450SEL). My 6.3 also had rear child safety locks way ahead of federal regulations !!!

$126K? What ever happened to $90K which is what I thought they cost (I know taxes will add to that). One would think with such a high price there should be NO OPTIONS. I know, fantasy land, even the $175K Bentley is not fully equipped and does not have a rear camera, not even as an option nor does the QPorte. All of these "packages" that seem appropriate on a $22K Pontiac G6 somehow seem as if they should already come on cars at $80K+. As I understand it, there are no options on an XLR, sounds good unless GM forgot to include things like a rear camera or a 20 GiG HD. If these things were not on the car it would be nice to have them as a factory option. I have come full circle in my argument, I just can't be satisfied.
I guess they figured that the Europeans needed the top of the line safety features first due to the high speeds on that Autobahn. It's unlikely for an American in the states to wreck at 150mph unless he/she was doing something they wasn't suppose to. And then again, it probably because of people just looking for a reason to sue and get rich quick. "Oh my god, I ran over something because og the rear head rest! I'm suing!!!" or "I was going 140 and ran a red light and got a ticket. I'm suing!!!" No wonder market producers are spooked. All it takes is some bonehead to pay some laywer that's looking to earn his/her wings and bam, they are rich. In most other countries, even on the autobahn, if you are travelling over 130kph at that point if you crash, you are automatically at fault due to high speeds and what's worse many insurance companies will not cover you at them speeds and in Germany, they are not required to if you go that fast. So if you choose to take ya SL65 german spec and go 180mph and crash, it's ya behind.
Also, not to mention that the MBZ W126 had airbags since 1981 in europe. You can get a couple of grey markets in the states with airbags, most commonly in the years of 1984-1985 and maybe an 1983 or two if you look real hard.

The funny thing is that America has some of the most amount of wreck rate/percentage but where higher speeds is allowed, they rarely crash. Why? Some say that Europeans must go through a whole driving school just to get a liscence or others say that Americans are too easily distracted behind the wheel in compared to Europeans. I have yet to see a German siting behind the wheel yacking on the cell phone doing makeup eating lunch and changing CDs while drving. But I see it everyday by Americans.

As far as options, go, outside of name, there is not much that the top of thel ine vehicles have that the lower ones don't. Now and days it's all about name and history of prestige and or sheer performance. EVen now and days you can get a Camry with leather seats, navigation, and all them other cool gadgets that was unheard of on any other car unless you had a BMW or Mercedes.

The 6.9 was a grey market vehicle and thus was not an offical US model and hence the head restaints. And then again the 1985 US model 500SEL also had rear head restraints.

I don't think that they intentionally give us Table scraps. It's that the laws and government go for the table scraps. With all the laws and import laws this and that and stuff, they couldn't put all the things they wanted to do in the US models. Think back in the 80s and 70s. The stuff they was coming up with was unheard of in American cars and would of forced the US auto makers to make a move that the greedy powers that be didn't want to make. (Spend money on researching for building safer reliable cars.) It took them another decade or so yto start catching on.

Old 07-05-2006, 05:06 PM

i wonder how can i get the tunner in the car for the digital TV...and the player to play dvd....i currently bugging the dealer to add the radar cruise control...they say you can only get it in factory...so i told them into looking into ordering the factory parts and install that in my car....eeeek...feels like beating a dead horse

lemon