Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

vibrating steering on new S400

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 04:38 AM
Angry vibrating steering on new S400

Hi,
I purchased the 2010 S400 Hybrid in February of 2010. When I took delivery of the vehicle, I noted vibration that was present at varying speeds but most pronounced between 50-70 mph. I went back and forth to the dealership on this issue. They caould never find anything overtly wrong with the car. The tried everything from electronically balancing the tires, to adjust the tire pressures, to rotating the wheels. At one point, one of the people in the dealership had the nerve to tell me that's how the car drives. I told him had I known that to be the case I would have spent 100k on something else. Anyhow they though it's possible there may be a compatbility issue with the Continental tires. So they installed 4 new Michelin PS2 tires. I got the car back a few days ago and drove it. The issue has significantly improved. But the steering wheel vibration is less pronounced and happens randomly at different speeds and to top it off my gas mileage has gone down about 2mpg. I'm at my wit's end. 2k on a lease payments every month, and I'm stuck driving a car with a rattling steering wheel for another 24 months. Don't know what else to do. Anyone have any ideas.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:40 PM

Pull off rims and check the runout of the front hubs and rotors with a dial indicator. If the vibration was in the seat it would be the rear wheels and since you rotated them I am suspecting a bent hub. Even rust build up between a rotor and bearing hub can cause a vibration if the rotors were off and not cleaned where they matched up with the bearing hub. But this is not your case with a new car. Maybe the vehicle fell off the truck or something, who knows what happens during shipping...

Last edited by gjfenez; 07-22-2010 at 02:58 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by undienscurse
Hi,
I purchased the 2010 S400 Hybrid in February of 2010. When I took delivery of the vehicle, I noted vibration that was present at varying speeds but most pronounced between 50-70 mph. I went back and forth to the dealership on this issue. They caould never find anything overtly wrong with the car. The tried everything from electronically balancing the tires, to adjust the tire pressures, to rotating the wheels. At one point, one of the people in the dealership had the nerve to tell me that's how the car drives. I told him had I known that to be the case I would have spent 100k on something else. Anyhow they though it's possible there may be a compatbility issue with the Continental tires. So they installed 4 new Michelin PS2 tires. I got the car back a few days ago and drove it. The issue has significantly improved. But the steering wheel vibration is less pronounced and happens randomly at different speeds and to top it off my gas mileage has gone down about 2mpg. I'm at my wit's end. 2k on a lease payments every month, and I'm stuck driving a car with a rattling steering wheel for another 24 months. Don't know what else to do. Anyone have any ideas.
I have the same issue with my s400
What did you do to solve the issue