Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

Tranny Service

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010 | 07:05 AM
|
Default Tranny Service

I own a 2001 S430 with 160000 miles on it. Last year an independent mercedes mechanic told me not to service the transmission. His experience was that the transmission would hold up better, and last longer if i didn't replace the transmission fluid.

I see that the dip sticks take a special tool to remove...

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge they could share?

Old 01-18-2010 | 01:28 AM

hi mtngoater2011,

you do need to service your auto transmission at every 60,000km or two years. Ive service a number W220. using at 5liters of MB ATF. Depending how you drive your car.

Better preventing than overhauling or replacing an Auto transmission which is costly

good luck!

Rockerfella174

brunei darussalam

Old 01-18-2010 | 06:25 AM
|

makes sense. i could not understand why you wouldn't need to service a transmission. he seemed to have a reputable shop with a lot of mercedes work.
thanks,

Old 01-18-2010 | 08:36 AM

every fluid molecules will breakdown at one point... that why engine oil need to be replace at according mileage. same principle with the MB ATF

Just let us know and share in this forum about your updates on ure repairs

rockerfella174
Brunei Darussalam.

Old 01-28-2010 | 11:46 AM

Any knuckle head that tells you, you don't have to, or shouldn't service a serviceable component is someone to inquire of there particular brand of crack! You should run from such advise. It makes me wonder what's he doing for vehicles that he does service? Maybe people for whom he's performed services ought to check under their hoods to see what was actually done. Who knows...he may have drained old oil and put in older oil filled with sludge and sawdust! Geeeez... That's just plain scarry!

Old 01-29-2010 | 05:57 AM
|
Default funny thing is...

okay so i priced out trans filter and oil; then i thought i'd call a local trans shop to see how much more to have the trans service done by a pro.
i got the same response from them too!

the mechanic's experience was that if there were any slight problems to begin with; there is a very good chance the problem would become worse. he's had this happen many times in the past.

He said, "mercedes engineered a special (transmission) fluid to last the life of the transmission. it would be best not to change it".

The viscosity in my trans fluid is very thick now. if there were any damage in the hydraulic system, the thinner new fluid would leak. the result would be a bigger problem.

But if i wanted to bring it in for service, i would need to sign a waiver not holding them responsible.

i need to do more research...

Old 01-29-2010 | 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by mtngoater2011
He said, "mercedes engineered a special (transmission) fluid to last the life of the transmission. it would be best not to change it".
I'm almost certain Mercedes define "lifetime of xxxxxxxx" to be the same as the warranty period of your car when bought new, and no longer, not the true lifetime of it, e.g. 20+ years.......... check all the small print when you bought the car.

Also, they may well have a fluid that will last the life time of the transmission and not breakdown in that time, but that is only half the story, the metal components will be rubbing, and fragments will shave off, so the fluid may chemically be ok, but could be full of gunk, so doing lots of damage!

160,000k miles is a long distance to not have a change!!

Old 01-29-2010 | 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Most automakers define the life time of a tranny as 100,000 miles if even that. After that is gray area. Of course the mechanic will tell you to leave it be till it blows. That's more money they can make by charging you some absurd price for a new tranny and absurd price to install it compared to making a few pennies here and there with an oil change and disposing of the fluid without getting on EPA bad side.

If you got 160,000 and no oil change, that's great but even though a special tool is needed they still made those tranmissions where you can still drain and refill it one way or another.

Old 01-29-2010 | 09:48 PM
|

i've only had the car a few years, so i'm not sure when the last trans change was.
at the very least you'd think that the filter would plug up...

a filter is $25 - mb oil= Mobile synthetic trans fluid?

any special tools?

Old 02-16-2010 | 06:16 AM
|
Default Lifetime?

if lifetime is 100k then gm, ford and dodge have lifetime warranties on their drivetrain? is that a correct statement?

Quick Reply: Tranny Service