Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

A skip in idle.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator
Default A skip in idle.

After having the water pump replaced with a brand new water pump and thermostat, my car has developed a slight skip in the idle. It's so slight that most people and mechanics don't even notice. I noticed when it was started up right after the repair. It never ever ever ever done this before with the old water pump. I'm not saying that the water pump has something to do with this but, it's kind of odd that it happened as soon as the new one was installed, but not to point fingers just yet.

It's not a skip to the pint that it causes the engine to idle rough or anything, but listening closely to the idle with the hood up and you hear a slight skip in regular timed intevels. What could have caused this to happen after a water pump repair, since the water pump is belt driven and is not tied into the timing chain.

I probably could have found the cause and solved the problem execpt I was so busy taking care of buisness and shipping that tank that I didn't have time to do much of anything while I was in the states with my car. It's not yet that big of a deal but it's not Mercedes like to skip.

Old 04-28-2006, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: A skip in idle.

Come on, I know i ain't the only one who ever had this prob. It would be sad that I get my car here in Germany (June) and quickly find out the problem before I can even get a response.

The basica question is what the heezies do a slight skip in idle means? And what causes it? Whether the car is a 560SEL, CLK, 190E, or hell a pinto, a slight skip in idle is somehing that can happen in anycar. What can cause it? Just haven't had time to look and will get it fixed one way or another as soon as my car touches down on dry land again.