Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

S430 - My electronic key just won't turn and start sometimes ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 02:49 PM
Default S430 - My electronic key just won't turn and start sometimes ???

Hi - Can anyone please advise me. My car is a S430, 1999 model. This week,when inserting my electronic key,it just didn't want to turn toignite, as if it just 'shut down'.I checked the power and nothing would come on eg; interior lighting. It also locked the boot when I tried to check out the battery. After approx' 10mins, it started but has been like this all week. Please help as it is the weekend and I need to get to work Monday and won't be able to get an 'expensive' dealer to look at it.

Cheers, Mark

Old 06-22-2007, 02:59 PM
Default RE: S430 - My electronic key just won't turn and start sometimes ???

If nothing worked , lamps, etc. I would suggest the car battery, connections, or cable. The electronic key needs power, it gets it from the car so it cancommunicate with the car (inductive energy).The remote function is RF (radio frequency much like your garage door opener) gets the power from your batteries in the remote.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:26 PM

Thanks for the fast response. I will check the battery leads/terminals and change the key battery. After 10mins, it just seems to start as if nothing was wrong. Cheers, Mark. (Cardiff, Wales, UK).

Old 06-23-2007, 01:19 AM

Hi,
I go with with Peter. Battery or more likely battery connection...but what happens during the 10 mins to apparently correct the issue.

Could the battery be managing to muster some power from somewhere...but why, how etc? Quite possible if the battery has been drained due to excess cranking but not if thereis an internal short in the battery.

I notice you are in the UK....and its been a bit wet here of late!! I wonder. Sure you plenum drain is clear although I don't see an obvious link.

Will be interested to see how this pans out.

Stuart

Old 06-24-2007, 12:14 PM

Absolutely spot on!!! I checked the battery terminals yesterday and noticed that although they were on, one needed tightening up and since then it has started first time!!! I suspect this may be connected (pardon the pun) to the service it had the week before when they may have disconnected it as a routine. However; it was strange that it rectified itself after 10mins?

Thank you both very much its quite a relief to think that we can help each other through this great site.

Bgrds, Mark.