Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

S430 Airmatic again. something different...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 08:54 AM
Default S430 Airmatic again. something different...

First hi to all.

I'm new here. I have a 2000 s430 with 90k on it. and Airmatic problem.

There is a lot of threads about airmatic on this forum, but nothing what would help in my case. So here it is:
The car is on the ground. all four corners are down..
Took the compressor out, it works with external power source (battery chrger). Good pressure! Bought two brand new relays (for the compressor and airmatic system). All my fuses are fine, speccialy two 40A ones (compressor and airmatic system), but there is no power going to the compressor and there is no power on the fuses!! there is power only on the green wire which goes to the valve/solenoid on the pump. i've put the pump back in and plug the charger to it, let it work for a minute and nothing.Car didn't go up an inch. i started looseing air lines on the distribiution block... lots of air coming out from the compressor "hose", lil bit from the reservoir tank, nothing from the struts.
when i start the car it shows Airmatic stop car to low!when i press the switches nothing is happening.
Usually it's a compressor relay fuse or height sensor.
i have knowledge in repairing that kind of defects but this is something new to me and i honestly dont know what to do. it seems like i've checked everything and have no clue what's wrong.
Any ideas?

Old 02-24-2011, 11:44 AM
Default Same issue here

Any results?

I have the same issue. I replaced the pump and relay a few months back and all was good, then the Airmatic message came on, with one side going a bit lower.
I know that the right front is loosing a bit of air, but the issue is mostly likely due to the fact that the pump wasn't kicking in any more.

If I manually trip the pump (using an old relay with the housing removed), the pump runs fine, but the car isn't raising. When the hose is removed, the pump output plenty of air and pressure.

My assumption is either wiring for valve block and pump control or a seized valve block.

What did you find out?

Old 03-14-2011, 09:08 PM
Default air suspension problem

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and hopefully someone can help me. I have a 2000 S500. I bought it used in 2004. Took it for routine service A and B as schedule. In 2008 no problems at all with car took for service and dealer said I would need to replace all struts so I did. I'm a female and at that time did not know anything about the up keeping of the vehicle. I knew I wanted a dependable and reliable vehicle... anyway that was when my problems started. If it was cold back was low. Did not have any problems in the summer. Took back to dealer they said they could not find a problem. Next thing you know I hear this noise coming from the front wheel passenger side. Noise presisted even after I turned vehicle off. Then it would go away took back to dealer they could not find anything. I continue to drive finally one day came out car is all the way down to the ground sitting on tires. I cannot drive it. I push the little button in the car with the dots to lift will car was running nothing. Had towed to dealership. New compressor place on my vehicle drove it once. Car is all the way back down on all fours. I cannot hear the compressor running at all. I've been doing my own research now. Is it possible the dealer did not change the relay switch. I am understanding that it must be changed if compressor is change. I had the current switch tested and it is still good. Would this make a difference in the outcome. Does the valve block need to change also and how are you able to test. I'm really sick at this point because I don't know what to do now and my car is just sitting.
Please, somebody help ........
Thomkat

Old 03-19-2011, 08:04 AM
Default what was the cause?

please tell me what was the cause of the problem? i don't want to have the same thing happen to me.
thanks

Old 04-06-2011, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by thomkat
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and hopefully someone can help me. I have a 2000 S500. I bought it used in 2004. Took it for routine service A and B as schedule. In 2008 no problems at all with car took for service and dealer said I would need to replace all struts so I did. I'm a female and at that time did not know anything about the up keeping of the vehicle. I knew I wanted a dependable and reliable vehicle... anyway that was when my problems started. If it was cold back was low. Did not have any problems in the summer. Took back to dealer they said they could not find a problem. Next thing you know I hear this noise coming from the front wheel passenger side. Noise presisted even after I turned vehicle off. Then it would go away took back to dealer they could not find anything. I continue to drive finally one day came out car is all the way down to the ground sitting on tires. I cannot drive it. I push the little button in the car with the dots to lift will car was running nothing. Had towed to dealership. New compressor place on my vehicle drove it once. Car is all the way back down on all fours. I cannot hear the compressor running at all. I've been doing my own research now. Is it possible the dealer did not change the relay switch. I am understanding that it must be changed if compressor is change. I had the current switch tested and it is still good. Would this make a difference in the outcome. Does the valve block need to change also and how are you able to test. I'm really sick at this point because I don't know what to do now and my car is just sitting.
Please, somebody help ........
Thomkat
Yeah usually when we replace the compressor we replace the relay. Ask them if they did if not try that. Would be a cheap fix.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:30 PM

On my car the hose between the pump and reservoirtank was squeesed and broken
in close connection to the reservoir tank. I sprayed a soap solution and noticed small
bubbles.