Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

S320 - UK Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 07:40 AM
Default S320 - UK Limp Mode

Hi Forum

Need soem advice - think of buying a S320 UK Spec car - it is very cheap - HOWEVER the reason for this cheapness is that there is a fault with the car - and that it is in Limp Mode - the owner tell me that he had it checked out and it is the ESP module - now I have no means of checking this

This car is approx 4000$ - with 88K and a host of extras - so do not want to let it go - however I do not wanto to buy a money pit

Can anyone shed soem light for me - Also - if I shoudl stay away from this tempting deal - or go for it and hope for the best

The history is - that the car was fine - until it went into the body shop for a spray - no panels were removed - but when he came to collect it - this fault has occured - mayeb a battery problem? - ESP - wiring?

HELP

Nik

Old 05-22-2007, 01:43 AM
Default RE: S320 - UK Limp Mode

Hi,
The call is yours!

Unless you have confidence in the seller I wouldn't buy a wild card unless you are prepared for some serious spend.
How much history can the seller give you. How long did they have the car. Can you contact the previous owneretc?

All faults can be put right (except for body damage) but at MB OE prices you MAY need deep pockets.
If however it is a project and you intend to go around breakers yards etc for parts and solve each issue in turn without requiring the car as daily transport then it may be an interesting, rewarding and possibly profitable undertaking.

Be warned MB bits are expensive and access to body electric codes etc can't be done with a regular DIY scanner.

Thats why the vehicle is going so cheaply!

Is it just the ESP? or a load of other things. If its just the ESP then this shouldn't be too much of a challenge but the ESP links to many other systems.
ASR, ABS, BAS, Airmatic etc.

But of course it could be something real simple.

Stuart

Old 05-22-2007, 02:05 AM

Well - I bought the car - fingers crossed

I went there - when I started the car - I got the messages on the dash ESP Visit Workshop/BAS Visiit workshop and the car was surging when started first - then settled -

I looked at the battery in the boot - and it was small (looks like a cheapo one)

Anyway - i negotiated him down to £2500 - I will give it a go - otherwise off she goes on Ebay!!!! or Break!!

But again woudl liek some feedback on if anyone has had this issues - and where should I start first!

Thanks will keep you guys posted - SLEEPWALKER - please give me your godly blessing!!!!

Nik (UK)

Old 05-22-2007, 02:16 AM
Super Moderator

if the battery was disconnected, it can be as simple as initializing the steering angle sensor.