Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

Rear Seat Removal 89' 560SEL

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 10:04 PM
Default Rear Seat Removal 89' 560SEL

Hi All,
I am slowly getting all the kinks out of this 560SEL, a truely impressive car. In going thru all of the switches, I found that the rear seat adjustment on the drivers side is stuck. The motor operates but the bottom bench seat cushion seems to be frozen. I would like to dis-assemble and see if I can free it up with some PB Blaster. The manual I bought doesn't have any information on how to get to components (tear down), only the steps to diagnois once you get to the component. Can anyone give me some pointers on how to remove the bench seat. There are two bolts on the bottom rail, I took them off, but it is still secure. I checked all other likely visible places but only found these two. any direction would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 11-04-2010, 12:42 AM
Super Moderator

the bottome part of the cushion should be two bolt, which you seem to have found. The lower cushion is also held by double side tape. once you unbolt the two on the front which bolt it to the rail, then pull up and pull towards you. If it's OEM seat bottom and rear seat set up which 99% of them are (Seen a 420 the other day with an aftermarket setup which ws strange looking but worked) then you should have some reistance and it should come on out working aroundthe seat belt and making sure edges dotn get caught in places. Also if it also have the heated seats, watch them plugs and wires. There might be two bolts holding them towards the back of the lower cushion. Pull the seat cusion forward after you unbolt it and you should be able to assess the screws to free the wires if applic. Now you should be able to access the stuff you need. But if you need to remove the top part too...

The upper cushion is not so hard. once you get the bottom cushion out, it is connected by screws more than the regular seats. IIRC there is three on the bottom. One on each side and one middle. Alright once these are removed, the top is held by guiding pins. These pins is what holds the seat to the motorized frame. To remove it, pull the seat back forward and guide it off the pins. Unplug seat heater element for th upper portion and you should be able to access the workings of the seat now.

Installation is reverse. The key with this power seat is make sure and make sure again the seat is on those pins properly and simple from there.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:29 AM

Blackwolf,
Thanks for the response, that I will get on over the weekend. I sort of figured it was relatively simple to remove the seat, just wanted to make sure that I wasn't destroying anything in the process. I am finding alot of issues where the previous owner had installed an after market stereo and now the dash lights are out, the center console lights and the shifter indicator light. I am thinking if they are all on one harness that the clown who installed the stereo used the wiring to power up the radio. If there is a schmatic available that would be a huge help. If you are aware of a link to get wiring diagrams, please inform.
Did you get your damage repaired on you 126?
Again thanks for the post.
Tom

Old 11-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

of course $25 dollars later and a trip to salvage yard to the 560SEL cash for clunker victim and 3 minutes later it was done. didnt even need new bulb.