Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

Pneumatic Pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 01:58 PM
Default Pneumatic Pump

Would anyone please be willing to share where in the trunk the pneumatic pump is for the door closing mechanisms on a 1994 S500, and if there are any special tools or trade secerets accessing it?

Thank you all!!

Justin

Old 10-12-2006, 05:02 PM
Default RE: Pneumatic Pump

The pump that controls the "draw in" for doors and the "draw down" of the trunk is located between the gas tank and the drivers side rear wheel housing. It is gest gotten to by removing the liners on the gas tank and the fender. It is in a foam enclosure in a plastic holder and har red tubing and a wire loom going to it.
A good article is
http://www.v12uberalles.com/Closing_Assist_Pump.htm
also
www.mbnz.org
search closing assist
and my post
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140...ng-assist.html

Old 10-13-2006, 11:46 AM

Thank you Peter, I will be attempting to fix my pump this coming weekend. I will post to let you know how it goes.

Thank you again!!!

Justin

Old 10-14-2006, 02:17 AM

Are you sure about that? As for the trunk closing assist, mines works from the PSE Pump that is located under the rear passenger seat. And the closing assist pump for the doors is in the trunk area enclosed behind the rear seatback on the driver's side. So, my question again is, are you sure?

Old 10-14-2006, 11:08 AM

The closing assist pump resides in the trunk, it provides pressure to draw in the doors and trunk and the vacuum to reset the elements and purges the lines. The lock/unlock pump is under ther rear passenger seat, and provides pressure and vacuum also, pressure to lock and vacuum to unlock the doors, trunk and gas flap and in later years trunk release. It also supports the back up rods if you got them, and the release for the headrests if you have the vacuum version. It also provides pressure for the lumbars, and auxilliary vacuum for the HVAC when the engine is off or not providing it. It supports the retractable handle on the trunk lid. My 92 was retrofitted by the dealer per a service bulletin for the "quick release" latch, the striker extension is from the PSE via the handle circuit, but the draw down still comes from the "close assist" pump!

Old 10-14-2006, 12:08 PM

So, in either case, it's not located as you've stated by your own post: "between the gas tank and the drivers side rear wheel housing. It is gest gotten to by removing the liners on the gas tank and the fender. It is in a foam enclosure in a plastic holder and har red tubing and a wire loom going to it."

Is it?

I'm not trying to create confusion, but to assist in providing clarity to this particular situation. No pun intended.

Old 10-14-2006, 06:05 PM

What is all the confusion, it is located between the rear wheel housing drivers side and the gas tank. It is in a foam enclosure, in a plastic holder that slips into a braket on the wheel housing. It is best gotten to by removing the gas tank liner and the fender liner. Other than a spelling error due to my haste my "description" stands. If yours is somewhere else, so be it!